Internal Fire 2003/2004

Afternoon, Just to say thanks to all those who have supported us in 2003 and to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year from Hazel and myself.

The first phase of the museum is now complete except for window dressings and work will start on the next phase in March. Plan is to get some of the documentation out of the way in the meantime while it is too cold to work.

We currently have on offer several large engines which we hope will be arriving in the New Year including a 1930 25 ton

3 cylinder vertical.

Various people have left posts recently about docs they have which are possibly of use to others. One of the original aims of the IF website was to provide as much of this info as possible online and free. We are spending Jan scanning a load more but would like to get copies of anything anyone else thinks might be useful.

We are set up here to process docs at a fairly high speed, our big scanner will read and convert 22 pages of A4 a minute so quantity is not a problem! We also have some fairly serious OCR software/hardware that will even cope with handwritten documents so where required, documents can be converted to more useable/searchable data - fuel injection data etc.

All scanned/converted documents are now being archived outside the museum as well so that the data is safe for the future. It is also planned to distribute CDs to other interested museums from next year.

If anyone has info they would be prepared to let other people have access to could they let us know and we would be happy to cover copying and postage if that is a problem.

Cheers Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to