Launch Rod Material

What is the preferred material, for a home-built launch pad?
Is 1/8" carbon-fiber rod "usable", or is it too flexible?
(I am asking about its use for typically small, light LPR use...nothing over C-motor power.)
--

Greg Heilers
A steel rod would be enough. You want something that will flex as little as possible. They're only a couple bucks if you get them at Home Depot, and can easily be cleaned.

AZ Woody wrote:

No real reason, other than I already have a 48" long 1/8" rod. It seems less flexible than an aluminum rod; and I assume it is easier to care for than a steel rod (no rust). And I was intrigued by the passage in "the handbook" about tests showing that an aluminum rod actually whips less than a comparable steel rod.

--

Greg Heilers

Al rods are the worst case...Even if you consider a 1/4" rod.. You want "as stiff as possible".
If you don't want rust, use stainless steel (a slight bit more expensive). However, rust isn't really the problem! (many times). It's the gunk that will build up due to motor exhaust. Being able to run sandpaper or steel wool on the rod to clean it in the field is a good thing. In fact, cleaning the rod before a day of launching (reguardless of the material) is a good idea.
And I was intrigued by the passage in "the

than
From years of flying, I can't agree, unless the rod is made of very cheap steel! You ever seen flights off the AT (RCS) "Mantis" pad with the AL rods? A few bucks at HD will get you a steel rod...
Remember the "handbook" also says no EX motors, but fails to mention that in the early days, Stine was flying "EX" motors!

Tell stories. They are always enlightening.
I got rid of my Mantis almost as soon as one fell into my hands. What a piece of crap. That thing had more moves on lift off than Michael Jackson back in his thriller days. The real fun came in trying to determine just where in the hell that rocket would be heading when it finally came off the rod.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

the
At least you were never bored with it. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
In article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Jerry Irvine at snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote on 4/30/05 6:51 AM:

Here's some.
http://aerotech-rocketry.com/customersite/theatre/theatre.html
Click on "Hobbyshop Video".
Gary

**
That is a nice video.
Several aspects I particularly like.
Dissolve and animated graphics. God bless MacOS.
Fast paced music.
Very good launch audio but it still sounds "unrealistic and tinny".
Variety of propellant styles is well visible.
The time compress build is truly sweet. "Consumer interaction".
Areas for improvement
HD everything. DVD.
** Sandbags on the Mantis pad. After market report INCLUDED IN PAD BOX.
** Change out the Mantis pad rod for steel. After market report INCLUDED IN PAD BOX.
In production if you are married to AL, double its diameter and go with 7075. Change out the launch lug parts in kits. Bigger lugs still work with smaller rods.
Offer a rail guide specific to your kit slot. Rail too.
You need a 3 min version of the video for trade shows.
Last I checked you never did a powered landing yet.
Jerry
"Or, using Jerry's suggestion, you have an "infinite" number of choices." - Gary/RCS

When the heavy beat started I was expecting Gary to pop in and start doing some disco. 8-)
In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Phil Stein at snipped-for-privacy@ArielSystems.spamsks.net wrote on 4/30/05 12:34 PM:

Brent McNeely composed the audio.
The original soundtrack was "High Roller" by The Crystal Method, but we couldn't afford to pay the license fee...
Gary

Which reminds me. Where's the screen credits?

In article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Jerry Irvine at snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote on 4/30/05 1:38 PM:

None.
Gary
In article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Jerry Irvine at snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote on 4/30/05 10:33 AM:

Brian did the editing. He does TV commercials now.

High compression required for slow connections resulted in some pixelation and compromised audio.

Sounds good. Maybe I'll get an HD camera for my birthday this year.

Already available.

Sand included!

We tried it actually. No noticeable improvement.

Got it.

True.
Enhanced consumer interaction.
Gary

needs a downloadable version so we can watch full screen!
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)
In article meUce.26911$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga, tater schuld at snipped-for-privacy@maps.charter.net wrote on 4/30/05 5:06 PM:

I'll post an 320 X 240 MPEG-1 (video CD) version the next time I have access to a fast upload connection.
Gary
In article meUce.26911$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga, tater schuld at snipped-for-privacy@maps.charter.net wrote on 4/30/05 5:06 PM:

Here you go...
http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/customersite/theatre/othermovies/at_hobby_s tore_video.mov
49.1 MB MPEG-1 file.
Gary
MUCH NICER!
note: needed to rename the file to .mpg for it to run, but my computer is a bit twitchy about such things
is this public domain? I'd love to have a few cable stations run this on public access
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)
In article ch8de.29799$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga, tater schuld at snipped-for-privacy@maps.charter.net wrote on 5/1/05 11:21 AM:

I changed the extension to .mpg at the suggestion of TRF readers.
Feel free to distribute the video as you see fit.
Gary
wel, since you said we could I figgured we should start a new thread about it.
has anyone had any success getting public access to air their model rocketry videos? I would think that this could be a good way to get the general public to see some of our hobby.
our local community does NOT have a public access channel. they are too worried about political groups taking it over
paranoid idiots, sigh.
I'll see if I can get other areas nearby to look into it. what i really need is a bunch of AV nerds to take over the video part of our club so the president can actually FLY a rocket once in a while