Launch Rod Material

AZ Woody wrote:

Well, one could postulate alternate histories... suppose composites were a little better known at the time (openly, that is: they were, then, still the "new classified military thing"), and someone had come up with a usable small-scale process for amateur use... perhaps the political lines (had they been drawn) might have been drawn differently: "nice safe composite mixtures vs. dangerous crunchy powdered preparations" rather than "home-made vs commercial".
-dave w

Orville et al did not do EX, as EX wasn't invented until a decade ago. Prior to certification, these were amateur rockets.

The #1 goal in the late 50s was SAFETY.
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.
kevin: I just discovered who Bill Colburn is and have emailed him myself..it will be interesting to hear what he has to say and what evidence he has to back it up...
shockie B)

Somebody warn Bill.

myself..it
I'm sure he is dying to prove it to you ;-)
I bet he if he has to back it up.

They bought George's how-to book.

Tripoli invented EX out of thin air.
In law there is only amateur and commercial.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Define the differences between AR and EX.

See my previous post. EX is a TRA invention to slip AR type activities under the MR cover.
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.

This should be in the FAQ.

actually its under the HPR cover..... shockie B)
writes:

TRA insurance covers ALL MR, HPR and "EX".
Supposedly.
Presumably anything except Kosdon because he is banned/decertified because he refuses to get an unneeded ATF permit.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Frank did not refuse to get the LEMP, the ATF will not issue manufacturing permits in a residential neighborhood.

That was never an issue.
And you are stupid enough to repeat this over and over.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

How could that not be an issue?
Again, Frank did not refuse to get a LEMP.
Also, Frank's motors were not decertified for lack of a LEMP.

I guess you missed quite a few HPR magazines and Tripoli Reports.
Jerry
pathological liar Jerry wrote:

Show us where Frank was decertified or banned/shunned, for a lack of a LEMP.
Oh wait, you can't, because it did not happen as you claim.

OK, I'll buy that.
The problem with governments is that citizens need to keep them on a short leash; unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that governments can usually arrange it so that only they hold their own leash.

Wrong. "EX" was around before TRA, and before Model Rockettry, and was known as Amateur Rocketry. TRA just put a new stickere on an old activity so they could try to slip it by under the more relaxed model rocket regulations and their insurance coverage.
It had become an universal and almost uncontroverted position in the several States, that the purposes of society do not require a surrender of all our rights to our ordinary governors; that there are certain portions of right not necessary to enable them to carry on an effective government, and which experience has nevertheless proved they will be constantly encroaching on, if submitted to them; that there are also certain fences which experience has proved peculiarly efficacious against wrong, and rarely obstructive of right, which yet the governing powers have ever shown a disposition to weaken and remove. Of the first kind, for instance, is freedom of religion; of the second, trial by jury, habeas corpus laws, free presses. -- Thomas Jefferson
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Yeah, the EX rules seem mainly set up to be "just like model/highpower rocketry, except with "home-made" instead of "storebought" motors..."
Not that I have a problem with that - it's not the type of amateur rocketry where my interest lies (I'm working on usable amateur-scale ways to produce _liquid_ propellants), but I don't see anything wrong with TRA providing a specific venue for the "Kitchen-Aid brigade" to launch their stuff... and the technology of consumer composite motors, designed to accept simple "tube-cast" propellant grains, certainly provides an interesting starting point for those who want to experiment with different formulas and stuff.
-dave w