Launch Rod Material

tater schuld wrote:


Strange...I have never known a community that did *not* have at least one public access channel. But, also....I have never known a public access channel that did *not* have a huge political bias. I only wish I could find one that was not "left-of-left-of-left-of-left-of-center"....lol. (...being from Austin, we have experienced the "Condoms on Cucumbers" channels, as well as the "Madeline Murray O'Hara Network"...lol)
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - Slackware 10.1 (2.6.10)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Greg Heilers wrote:

Years ago I lived with a commune called "Zendik Farm" that was, for a while, located lust outside of Bastrop (about 30 or so miles east of Austin - beautiful rural country in the early 90's; I hear it's all getting buried in suburban development these days...)
We used to do some stuff on the Austin Access cable system. (I don't think they had any particular bias... they'd play just about anything that was sent in on the proper format videotape.)
-dave w
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes but they need it in the format they broadcast in. Usually Beta or broadcast digital.
I believe that is beyond your or Gary's capabilities at this time mainly due to a content shortage.
Hint. A 240x320 non-interlaced MPEG-2/QT file doesn't cut it.

Correct.
--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA
Opinion, the whole thing. <mail to: snipped-for-privacy@gte.net>
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Gary C. Rosenfield wrote:

Its been a dream of mine to build a scale N1 with all the motors, nice to see someone has done it (or at least close). N1 was a monster of a rocket, too bad they all blew up. :P
--
John Bowles
NAR# 84674
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
what EX motors did stine fly?
the rock-a-chutes ?
by early- mid 1958 the rock-a-chutes had already been tested by BOE and given the title ICC toy propellant device....
shockie B)
wrote in message

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
shockwaveriderz wrote:

Stine used to make his own motors, not a commercial product such as the Roc-a-chutes.
-Kevin
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
kevin: this is the first I have heard this.... when was mr.stine making these ex motors? I know the first rock-a-chute motors were hand pressed by orville carlisle. what moters are we talking about here? when wss this done?
shockie B)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
shockwaveriderz wrote:

As I said before, he was making his own motors, for his own use. There is no other way to answer the question. They weren't commercial, they were experimental.
It's old news, it's been known for a good long time, and there are numerous people still around who were also making motors way back when Stine was who weren't very happy with him suddenly calling them "basement bombers", when he'd been doing the exact same thing himself for years.
-Kevin
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
kevin: ahh well, if its old news this is the first time I have heard it....
who told you this? this reeks of revisonist history to slime G.Harry to me.... so identify these people publicly that say G.Harry used to roll his own back in the day....
sorta like the same crowd who puts forth that George S. James (founder of RRS) may be the actual "father of model rocketry" instead of Orville Carlisle..?
if you don't want to respond to this here in RMR, email me privately....
shockie B)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
shockwaveriderz wrote:

It has been posted numerous places by numerous people, and was also told directly to me by someone who was involved in the hobby back in the 40s and 50s -- Bill Colburn. But, he's not the only reputable source I've heard it from.
> who told you this? this reeks of revisonist history to slime G.Harry > to me....
Ever hear the adage "the winners get to write history"? Well, in model rocketry, Stine was one of the "winners", so he got to bury that little nugget.
Believe it or don't; it's the truth and I'm done with the subject.
-Kevin
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
kevin: now don't be running off after you post something like this....don't do a driveby shhoting then take off ...
You say A Bill Colburn told you this? and who is Bill Colburn and when supposedly did he know G.Harry? Lets heres some additional names of people who told you this...
What proof did they offer you when they told you this? Did they say, "You know, I knew G.Harry back in the day and he also was doing his own AR/EX stuff"... and thats it?
I assume you know who David Sleeter is? Well, Mr. Sletter and I had a very interesting email conversation about the "'demonization of AR" and you might be surprised to see who was actually behind the effort.... I have no doubt that G.Harry spread "fear and loathing" for AR..... and I have no doubt why he did it:
1. People where maiming and blowing themselves up.....THIS IS A FACT....I have documented this in numerous newpapers of the day.....
2. There is NO doubt that Model Rocketry as opposed to AR is a order of magnitude safer......
3. Theres no doubt in my mind, that G.Harry had an "economic self-interest" in promoting model rocketry and disregarding AR: can you say MMI ?
When it comes down to it, G.Harry, the NAR and Estes just jumped on a "corporate" bandwagon(which doesn't make it right) to "demonize" AR.....
If you would like the details of this corporate "behind the scenes efforts" I can send you privately the email converstaion and you can decide for yourself who wanted AR dead.....
just becauuse somebody tells you something doesn't make it true....did anybody that told you any of this provide any background proof to back up their claims? most of these people have axes to grind, so now they bring them out against a man who cannot defend himself because he is DEAD.......
shockie B)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I agree with Troj.

A second hand source.

Not very many. Saddam had "WMD" too, just not very much.
Jerry
--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA
Opinion, the whole thing. <mail to: snipped-for-privacy@gte.net>
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:53:00 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

Yea Kevin. THis weenie has to beat it to death so he can come up with a conspiracy theory.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
as usual phil, you have nothing positive to contribute to yet another thread..... As we all learned earlier, you continue to stalk me and harass me cause you evidently haven;t got anything else to do in your miserable lame life...oh wait a minute, I take that back, you do have time to stalk and harass JI on a regular basis........
IF you did this stalking and harassment to people in the real world, you'd be in jail....
you need to get some psychiatric help you get over your obsessive-compulsion behaviors...
eat shit and die phil.....
terry dean
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Correct.
He is practicing.

Correct.
...
Hmmm. Well said Terry. Now calm down a bit yourself. Please.

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA
Opinion, the whole thing. <mail to: snipped-for-privacy@gte.net>
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Hey Jerry - it's time for Shockie to wipe his face. Please pass him a tissue.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:31:34 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

Terry feels stalked. Poor Terry. (the friggin weenie)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
shockwaveriderz wrote:

Sorry, Terry, but it's obvious to me from your replies that you've very much made up your mind as to the validity of my statements. That makes the entire conversation rather pointless.
Considering that you've now fired off a "this person claimed you said this" to the one name I did give you, and the fact that the tone is likely in the same vein as what you've posted here, it doesn't make me want to provide you any other names to go pester. Sorry, but pestering is the only appropriate description.
-Kevin
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
kevin:
well my mind might already have been made up, but at least I am open enough to go to the source to see what they have to say..
see what you did was throw out a statement as a known fact(perhaps known to some as you pointed out) and I just want to verify what you say is true... IF you are unwilling to tell me what you was told, then my only alternative is to goto the source...
I have no reason to doubt what Mr.Colburn told you, although he may have his own reasons for telling you whatever he did tell you and whatever others told you...
See just because a lot of STILL disgruntled EX'ers, 50 some odd years later, say G.Harry did Ex doesn't make it true... It could be they have a motive for saying such: perhaps to make G.Harry look like a hypocrite...? and Mr. Stine is not here to defend himself against potentially these accusations....I'm curious as to when and where this EX activity took place... this is for historical completeness....
I've already agreed that Mr. Stine did disparage EX/AR, as did the NAR and Estes Industries, and we all know why: economic self interest.... But also perhaps G.Harry saw the carnage caused by AR among youth and he changed his mind.... there are those today who was in EX then, who still refuses to admit that anybody was harmed....
I have also already agrred that Mr. Stine did indeed do EX in the context of using rock-a-chutes prior to their classification.... but until Mr. Colburn et al can provide me with more specific information than what you have provided so far, I'm not going to sit back and just believe whatever you may have been told...
shockie B)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

later,
What did Stine fly if it wasn't EX? Again, simple logic. Name just one commercially manufactured motor, approved by "somebody with authority" when Stine flew his first few birds! There were none!
What Stine had to start with was purely Experimental!
GHS's logic after the fact was purely "Do as I say, and not as I do".
When NAR was formed, it also included Estes. The "EX is bad" theory came about so Vern could sell motors, and also due to the fact that manufacturing BP motors is (IMHO) a far more dangerous than making AP or AN motors. (when you know what you're doing).
If Stine hadn't done EX, there would be no hobby today, as the "science" wouldn't have advanced to the point that a kid can fly at the park down the street.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.