Launch Rod Material

Think about it... There were no commercial motors in the beginning! Everything was EX!
Az woody: I understand that "in the beginning" there were no commercial motors.... so anything prior to commercial motors obviously was AR/EX motors.... but with that said, that's completely different from claiming that G.Harry was involved with AR/Ex prior to his model rocketry days... I can see where he and other used rock-a-chutes before they were first okayed by the BOE,etc, thereby making them "AR/Ex"motors..but thats different then what Kevin and you seem to be saying, that even prior to rock-a-chutes, G.Harry was making his own motors.... I'm not saying he didn't do thta, but i want to se some backstory about it..
shockie B)

it..
In EX, it can also be that someone else makes the homebrew motor you fly. As Stine was flying "something", and there were no "approved" commercial manufacturers, they were experimental motors. (There was no one to "approve" them) Simple logic.

okayed
then
it..
Ask Bill, if he will talk to you.
His dad flew the Marks before he had Rock-a-chute made.
and I'm sure he flew lots of other rockets besides marks you know.
that doesn't matter a rats ass, as G was doing Pro Rocketry as well as AR.
what is it your trying to prove anyway ?
If your writing a book, I am way ahead of you ;-)

Woody, stop stating the obvious, some don't getit, and should be embarrassed.
Jerry
well at least I "get it" as far as NOT shipping rocket motors as "model aircraft parts"....
shockie B)

I'll be damned! It's been a long time, but JI made a post I agree with! :-)

The law of averages say it has to happen once in a while. Don't let it get you down. 8-)
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:39:23 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

Stop stalking poor Jerry.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

jerry, in a previous post, you stated, "in law there is only amateur and commercial. Now you are agreeing with woody, that in the beginning, all that existed was EX.
Are you whiffing the glue again?
I now use a 1/4" pure stainless steel rod, very little flex.

Are you going for the Cool Factor?
Wouldn't the CF rods be the stiffest you could get?..... I assume.... Could the motor exhaust, although only applied for a fraction of a sec., start eroding / degrading the epoxy in the rod? Over time I mean.....?
I got some new Grade 5 Titanium rods in 1/8 & 3/16 dia. in 6ft lengths.....Over-kill I know....:-) In the last month I've gone thru 2 steel rods......I always leave them out-side and they rust!!! I was forever sanding them clean.......even then I wouldn't get it all and I'd have a rust coloured streak down the rocket after launch.....
I thought the Ti rods would be easy maintenance.........The opposite occurred. I find myself 'REALLY' looking after them....Funny that.... :-)
The 1/8 rod is a little wobbly at 6ft but it worked great the other day. I wouldn't like to use it with high winds. 4ft would be better.
The 3/16 rod has a VERY small wobble at 6ft but it's pretty stiff.

That's right! I don't need 6ft lengths!!! I ordered both rods in a 4ft length dude! They sent me them in 6ft. I'll consider that to be good business.......I'm not willing to cut them to 4ft yet so 6ft it is!!!

I have a 8ft Standard Rail from BlackSky and it's used with a Impulse Aerospace Quad-Pod. Why would I launch an 18mm, foot long rocket from it???

Something interesting I've seen recently is 'mini-rail'. The buttons are tiny, much smaller than standard rail buttons.
I've also seen a hinged rail (not sure if it was mini-or standard) which folded in half, either for small stuff or storage/transport.
http://www.rowesretainers.co.uk /
Colin makes buttons which are like a mini version of the normal rail buttons, and also a nice guide which is like a mini-version of the ACME rail guides, but milled out of phenolic (Tufnol) sheet.
May be of some interest, overkill perhaps for really small stuff but for MPR?
--
Niall Oswald
================================

How small is this rail? The top view looks like "8020".
I've been looking for a small rail for comptition models.
    Voting for "the lesser of two evils" is still voting for evil.
Niall Oswald wrote:

I don't think it ever really caught on, but I remember Estes had a modroc-sized "C-Rail" in their catalog years ago.
-dave w

I still havee one, somewhere. But it's not quite what I'm looking for to use with competition models. Gliders no less!
"I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in and the West in general into an unbearable hell and a choking life."

1/8x2-3' 3/16x3-4' 1/4x4-5' 3/8x5-6' 1/2x6-7'
Jerry