Re: spring steel launch rod?

whether it's a blast

>or a quagmire depends largely on the newsgroup in question, and their >signal-to-noise ratio. r.m.r is definetly high on the signal!! >

Compared to WHAT?!?

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Try rec.motorcycles. It's a morass of OT crap, mostly political, with next to no motorcycle content.

Reply to
Tweak

They must all be out RIDING MOTORCYCLES.

At rmr we seem to have armchair rocketeers like Teeling spamming the group with off-topic crap.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

For the other end of the spectrum, try comp.arch.fpga

There is a bit of clash between the Xilinx and Altera personnel, but it's quite active, high on technical content, and very low on noise.

The down side is that nobody there wants to talk rockets. Not much fun at all!

Dwayne Surdu-Miller SAROS #1

--------------------------------------------- EldredP wrote:

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

I'm just countering your fraudulent BS.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

On numerous occasions I have begged you to cite a single example of my "BS". But you fail.

Maybe it is your postings that are BS.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Are you "legal" with the DOT? you have always maintained that you were legal. That's BS

you claimed you were legal, even after the DOT fined you.

Are you "legal" now? What's the name of your ATF agent?

Who is your current DOT contact?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I don't know about the other contacts, but I do DOT for free; special, just for "BIG FINE"..(:-)

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

The two are simply applicati Springs need to have very high yield strengths. Chemistries and heat treating techniques are employed to achieve the needed properties. Thus, steel alloys used for springs have a significant amount of elements that increase hardenability such as carbon, silicon and manganese. The disadvantage is that they are brittle. (Ever seen a broken spring?)

Music wire needs very high tensile strengths and a small amount of corrosion resistance. Thus, steel alloys used for music wire have elements like chromium and nickel. The quality of the steel also extremely important because it is very demanding to draw a steel alloy to the sizes used for musical instruments. The steel alloy needs to be very clean, having absolutely no inclusions or other defects from melting/pouring/casting at the steel mill.

Both of the materials need to have resistance to fatigue. Neither one is "better" for launch rods. Neither one is "stiffer".

Reply to
Doc