Estes Snapshot Flight Report

On July 15, 2004, we flew three (3) Estes Snapshot rockets as part of a summer science camp for elementary school children. Previously, I requested suggestions from this group for improving our success rate. I had planned to update the parachutes and shock cords, but my supplier was late in delivering our requested nylon parachutes and kevlar cord. Therefore, we used the Snapshot unmodified (except for tape over the film door).

Having never used an Estes camera kit, I can't compare this model to older Estes camera rocket kits. The shock cord was connected internall to the launch lug. The shutter release consisted of a button that extends out, tripping the shutter, when the nosecone leaves the body tube.

The weather was partly cloudy with little wind. We used only the recommended C6-5 engines. I had developed "checklists" for the students (and for myself). The prepartion checklist was particulary useful. We prepared the camera correctly on each attempt (wound the camera, set the release mechanism, and unlocked the shutter).

First round of launches

Rocket #1 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, recovered undamaged Rocket #2 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, recovered undamaged Rocket #3 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, broke fin on asphalt

Second round of launches

Rocket #1 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, recovered undamaged Rocket #2 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, recovered undamaged

Third round of launches

Rocket #1 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, recovered undamaged Rocket #2 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, recovered undamaged

Fourth round of launches

Rocket #1 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, landed in tree, I cut shock cord to recover camera, no damage visible in body. Rocket #2 no malfunctions, parachute fully deployed, recovered undamaged

Results:

Nine photos taken. Only two photos were ground shots. One ground shot was extremely blurry. One good photo!

I have published our results at

Daniel Cervantes

Reply to
Daniel Cervantes

[SNIP]

C6-7 then perhaps? If I'm right, the Astrocam/Snapshot takes the photo as the NC is being ejected - a recipe perhaps for blurry photos since the NC will be moving forwards (well, hopefully) at quite a rate when the shutter fires. Perhaps better (but much more complex) would be to use a small electronic timer with a g-switch to fire the release at a better time (and then perhaps deploy the chute). I imagine that an e-match could be used in some kind of release mechanism, perhaps just by burning through a string. Two seconds later a second e-match could deploy the parachute. I'm not sure, but I think there are some suitably small dual-event timers with G-switch activation out there - XAVIEN perhaps. Would be complex (and better on a D motor), but might get better shots, with more room for adjustment.

My 2p's worth, nice photos anyway!

-- Niall Oswald ========= UKRA 1345 L0 EARS 1151 MARS

"Gravity assisted pieces of the rocket raining from the sky should be avoided. It is also financially undesirable."

-Portland State Aerospace Society

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Use C6-7

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have two unopened Astrocams from about 4 years ago. Any one interested? I would want $20.00 a piece for them.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Sheesh... these kids now have a better flying record than I do, pictures or not... B-)

Reply to
Gene Costanza

Use D13-10 reload!

Bob Kaplow

Isn't that one of the ones that at least for several years was not certified and claimed to be by TRA President Rogers?

Hurry up!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yup. Never tested a single one.

They did list the D24-* as certified, based on ONE SINGLE TEST. I don't even remember which delay it was (maybe -10), but it was never intended to be certified until Tom found that one test in the records and decided based on that to certify ALL D24-* Much later the D24-4 and 7 were finally tested and certified by the NAR.

To the best of my knowledge that one D24-10 (or whatever delay it was) was the ONLY motor for the 18/20, 24/40, or 29/40-120 that TRA TMT ever tested. Which made any stagement from Chuck Rogers that they had been certified a lie. One that has yet to be admitted, retracted, or apologized for.

Bob Kaplow

Perhaps the "best of your knowledge" is incomplete.

Reply to
RayDunakin

And Tom Blazanin and whoever else ratified it later (ie possibly Mark Clark or Sue McMurray)

This should be in the FAQ.

It is one of the clearest pieces of evidence of the valid basis for mistrust of TRA (and TMT) and of the principals listed.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not very.

It is inclusive of public records, back channel records from TMT chairs (2+) since, inclusive of testimony from principals, etc.

It is very accurate.

It is only a moron and a liar (you) who is also a rabid Tripoli apologist who is casting aspersions and doubt.

Notably with NO offsetting facts whatsoever. Just empty questions and doubt.

Meaningless dribble from a moron and liar and apologist vs hard facts and evidence. Hmmm. Which to believe?

Difficult choice.

Jerry

NOT!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Are you two still reliving the good old days? Who cares? At least try to catch up to within the last 10 years.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Daniel......Great job. Your data was reported in an organized way and your website is very professional. If the Snapshot takes different speeds of film (I've never used one and don't know) you might try using the fastest speed film you can get, this might clear up some of the blurriness in the photos. Also using a C6-7 as someone suggested earlier in this thread is a good idea, but strengthen and lengthen your shock cord first (just cut it loose at the nosecone and add a couple of feet of sewing elastic)to prevent body tube zippering due to the higher rocket speed at deployment.

It's heartening to see young folks like you getting involved in science and technology (especially rocketry!), I'll bet you have a very bright future!

Best wishes...Paul

Reply to
P.K. Moore

Snapshot comes with film included. Probably because many, many folks could not find 110 cartridges. They are not available everywhere. It is 2004 and they probably were introduced around 1974.

At least it's not 126......

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Well, I've got all the data from the beginning of TRA TMT testing until the end of the John Cato era, which includes the time frame when CHuck claimed that all the AT model rocket reloads were TRA certified. With the exception of the D24, NONE of them have EVER appeared on ANY TRA list.

Do you have any better knowledge than that. Can you prove that TRA EVER tested any of those motors? I've repeatedly said that I would take back all my coments re motor testing if any one ever produced ANY data to prove the claims John Cato and I have made were incorrect. To date no such data has materialized.

There is only one conclusion that can be drawn from that. No such data exists. Which means the motors were never tested. Which means...

Bob Kaplow

The data for the ONE D24 firing was published in that gray TMT report that was printed just before I was excommunicated, and sent to all TRA members except for a select few (like me). Can you prove to us that ANY AT consumer reload other than that one motor was EVER TRA TMT tested. I didn't think so.

Chuck Rogers lied then. And by refusing to admit the truth continues to lie about it today.

Ditto for Tom and the M motors he certified without ever testing them, based on one test firing that John Cato had done. Can you produce any test data for that motor, for the period tat Tom ran TMT? No. Tom lied. And continues the coverup.

Can you produce for us ANY test data for ANY currently TRA TMT certified motor showing claimed vs tested delays? Would you bet your life that every one of those motors has an accurate delay?

Bob Kaplow

The sad part is that we have "self-regulated" ourselves into a situation where we're expected to _care_ about such things (in the name of "The Safety Code", no less...!) I have two motors, they both fly just fine, but one is supposed to be "poison" and the other is "kosher" for reasons more bureaucratic than technical. Are Jerry and I the only folks who ask "what's wrong with this picture?"

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Yes.