Estes Snapshot Flight Report

"Jerry is a very knowledgeable guy, with strong opinions. He has a long history in rocketry, and a grey link to US Rockets (kits & motors). He's a fount of useful tech info. Others may have differing opinions of Jerry, and frequently drag up incidents from the distant past. I've done business with Jerry and had no problems, but have also had disagreement with him, so you get both sides of the coin here. In fairness, people either love or hate him - the polarity of opinion is that pronounced. Jerry isn't the biggest fan of TRA in the world. Recent events have forced people to re-evaluate their scorn of some of his predictions, which hasn't endeared him to them, for some reason. Just my two penn'orth. Your mileage may vary."

- Graham Platt

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What opportunity?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Allen, good luck with your Snapshot.

I do want to add a couple of updates to my earlier report.

The best photo we received was taken during our last round of launches. For this launch, I the launch rod was inclined a few degrees against the direction of the wind. This may have allowed the rocket to turn farther back towards the ground prior to exposure. In it quite intersting that the photo appears to have been taken quite some distance from our launch point. You may want to consider this is you use the C6-5's recommended by Estes.

Yesterday when I was cleaning the nosecones (removing old scotch tape), I noticed one of the camera's had a sticky shutter release. When the button was allowed to extend outwards, as when leaving the body tube, the shutter release did not occur until the nosecone was jarred. This can be tested by pulling back the shutter c*ck and releasing it, the release should be immediate. I wonder if this can be lubricated?

Any recommendations how to adapt this camera to a larger body? I now have three cameras and only one Snapshot body (one body damaged, one body left in tree). The nosecone fits in a BT-55 (I think?). Does anyone make a "hollow" adapter that can be permanently attached to the larger body tube?

Dan

Daniel Cervantes

I think it might be a BT-56 which is the equivalent of the old Centuri ST-13 tube. It is a tiny bit larger than a BT-55 and therefore nose cones and tail units that fit in a BT-56 are extremely tight in a BT-55.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me....

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Fred Shecter

Pigs in Spaaaaaaaaaace!!!!! Awesome.

Don't you mean aweFUL?

Their full of it alright....but not with awe!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

:-)

John

Reply to