X-prize News

Canadian rocket team readies for space

July 15 - Canada's Brian Feeney says his Da Vinci Project staff is ready to challenge SpaceShipOne for the Ansari X-Prize and expects to roll out his more conventional-looking rocket (compared to aircraft-like SpaceShipOne) the first week of August. Feeney, who has aerospace and rocket design experience, plans to ride the rocket himself when it lifts off from Saskatchewan later this year. The rocket is powered by laughing gas and paraffin and is launched from a helium-filled balloon after reaching 80,000 feet.

SpaceShipOne to try for space prize

July 14 - Scaled Composites officials say they have found out what caused the trim problem and are ready to make a try this fall for the $10 million Ansari X Prize that goes to the rocket team reaching the edge of space twice in two weeks. Look for an official announcement at Oshkosh concerning the team of Paul Allen, who funds the project, and Scaled Composites. SpaceShipOne will fly with one pilot and lead ballast representing the weight of two additional 198.4-pound people and make the flight to 100 kilometers (62.1 statute miles) twice in a two-week period. The trim problem wasn't really a problem, Scaled Composites officials discovered. A left and right roll due to wind shear got SpaceShipOne off its proper pitch profile, called the pitch schedule. To get the craft back on the proper path, full trim was used that ran the pitch tab against the stops, causing an automatic

3-second time-out. After that it would have worked normally, but ground controllers, thinking it had failed, went to a backup system. In fact it had worked as designed.
Reply to
starlord

I wonder if they found out the source of the "loud bang" which was heard during the flight, or the cause of the dented panel?

Reply to
RayDunakin

I wonder if they found out the source of the "loud bang" which was heard during the flight, or the cause of the dented panel?

Reply to
GCGassaway

Good description George.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks for the info, George!

Reply to
RayDunakin

rmr IS good - thanks!

Reply to
Tad Danley

The underside of that fairing had buckled inwards (upwards). Looked like it was near where the structural fuselage (inside) ended and the nozzle began. Most likely the pressure during the extremely high angle of attack re-entry phase made it buckle. So they'll probably do something simple like adding an internal brace/stringer/rib or add some extra layers of composite materials to stiffen it up in that region.

Reply to
GCGassaway

Correct.

Most of the paint was just fine.

Especially in the area in question.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The evils of multi-port hybrid fuel grains show it's ugly face. Wagon wheel spoke grains break up and it can't be avoided when you try for near 100% fuel utilization!

The following was taken from the Deborah Norville interview of Mike Melvill. Enjoy!

NORVILLE: There was, as you said, one little problem. And I gather it had something to do with the solid rocket in the fuel, where there was a big boom and for a moment you didn?t know what had happened.

MELVILL: That?s correct. There was a loud explosion and a large vibration as part of the fuel that?s in the rocket motor went out through the nozzle and jammed the nozzle for a split second and then the pressure built up and blew it out.

So there was a very loud explosion, a lot of shaking going on, and I wasn?t sure I hadn?t lost part of the aircraft at that point. So that was scary for me.

during the flight, or the cause of the dented panel?

Reply to
k2

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Sounds to me like a recipe for a potential cato, but I'm no motor expert.

Reply to
RayDunakin