Estes vs. Aerotech

If I have a rocket that uses 24mm Aerotech motors, can I use 24mm Estes motors in the same rocket? I ask this because the Estes motors
are cardboard-encased and have the nozzle inside the tubular shape, while Aerotech motors have the nozzle sticking out at one end.
They'll fit, but what is the rocket in question?
If it's too large/heavy, an Estes "D" may not have the necessary thrust to launch it satisfactorily.
Otherwise, Aerotech 24x70 motors are identical in size to Estes "D"'s.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Zorfox) wrote:

Yes. Wrap a layer of masking tape around the rear of the Estes motor (nozzle end) and use that as your thrust ring. Tape the outside of that ring to the outside of the motor mount tube to retain it, over the joint.
Fly alot!
Drop-stage it with D12-0 taped to the upper motor.
Just On-Topic Jerry
The Cheetah and the Mustang I think are the only ones that are small enough to fly with a D12-3. They do not need tape as they come with a adapter to hold them. It is part of the kit.

On 11 Nov 2003 13:25:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Zorfox) wrote:

There's no problem with the dimensions, but you should check that the Estes motor has enough power for a safe flight.
I wasn't going to use a D, I would be using an Estes E as opposed to an Aerotech E. There is no specific rocket I'm thinking of, it was a general question.

E9's are even more problematic than D12's in heavy rockets - they have a very low peak thrust, which makes them more suitable to lighter rockets. Also, the heavier motor may shift the CG aft, making stability a problem.
The physical "fit" of the motor is just one of several issues to consider - it's something that can't be answered "in general", more specific info is needed.
One other thing - Estes E9's are 90mm long; if the motor mount is designed for 70mm motors, you'll have to use tape for either a tight friction fit, or around the mmt tube and motor to hold it in place, depending on what's feasible in your case.
But yeah, Aerotech 24mm motors and Estes 24mm motors fit the same "hole".

till you launch one, then it tears a new hole....in the sky!
or is there and Aerotech motor that is as wimpy as an Estes E?
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

Actually, yes!
Some of their 24x70 RC reloads are pretty close.

Well, in the RMS casing there are the D9, E11, and F12, but I'd trust any of them over an E9 for a heavy rocket.
writes:

"hole".
of
in 24mm?
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

Yup. From the AT web site:
RMS-24/40 Reload Data D9W 20 10.1 45 4s, 7s D15T 20 8.9 44 4s, 7s, 10s E11J 35 25.0 61 3s, 5s E18W 40 20.7 57 4s, 7s, 10 E28T 40 18.4 55 4s, 7s, 10s F12J 43 30.3 67 3s, 5s F24W 50 19 62 4s, 7s, 10s F39T 50 22.7 59 6s, 9s, 12s
I stand corected! my apologies for doubting you.
(mental note: get 24mm rms hardware)
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

It's my single most used reload casing. 22% of my total reload flights.
So many models from so many manufacturers are designed for 24mm motors. The Big Daddy, Executioner, Maxi Alpha, my scaled up Sprite, Streak, Windy City, Tri-F-O, and even one of my crayon banks regularly fly with this casing. And for wacky flights I stuff an E11 into either my Happy Meal or Borg cube. And the E11/F12 make for nice slow lift offs for my Giant Scale D region. It's the perfect motor for rockets like the Saturn-V and V2 and other underpowered extes stuff. It's good for small field lobs on rockets the size and weight of the Graduator, Initiator, etc. And the 3-packs are rather economical.
The 18mm is just too small to be useful and doesn't offer enough different reloads any more. About the only time I use it is in an overweight sport model that only has an 18mm MMT. I've made use of it in one of my crayon banks, a stock Fat Boy (ok, it's not quite stock, it's OY BATF!) and burned up lots of about to lose certification reloads in the Quest UFO.
I've never used an Estes E9, but I've heard they have very low thrust for their weight.

A D12 is good for almost double the rocket weight.

Wow, that would be a BIG mistake. The Estes E class is no where near as "thrusty" as the Aerotech Es. Estes E motors are long duration low peak impulse engines. The Aerotech engines are shorter duration and higher peak thrust. What this means is that Aerotech engines will lift heavier weights to flight stabilizing velocity more quickly. Frequently a rocket powered by an Estes E will not be fully stable as it leaves the rod due to overly slow acceleration. The end result is not pretty. The Aerotech Mustang will not fly safely on an Estes E engine. I know this from personal experience. Been there, done that, wish I hadn't.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Zorfox) writes:

Even that simple statement is not true. Several AT rockets WILL fly on the D12-3. And many third party rockets (Launch Pad, LOC, etc) that use AT motors will also fly on D12s and MAYBE even on E9s.

Most USR BMR series kits are light enough to fly on the E9 just fine. And big enough to not be embarrassed ata LMR or HPR launch.