Estes vs. Aerotech

If I have a rocket that uses 24mm Aerotech motors, can I use 24mm Estes motors in the same rocket? I ask this because the Estes motors are cardboard-encased and have the nozzle inside the tubular shape, while Aerotech motors have the nozzle sticking out at one end.

Reply to
Zorfox

They'll fit, but what is the rocket in question?

If it's too large/heavy, an Estes "D" may not have the necessary thrust to launch it satisfactorily.

Otherwise, Aerotech 24x70 motors are identical in size to Estes "D"'s.

"Zorfox" wrote:

Reply to
BB

Yes. Wrap a layer of masking tape around the rear of the Estes motor (nozzle end) and use that as your thrust ring. Tape the outside of that ring to the outside of the motor mount tube to retain it, over the joint.

Fly alot!

Drop-stage it with D12-0 taped to the upper motor.

Just On-Topic Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There's no problem with the dimensions, but you should check that the Estes motor has enough power for a safe flight.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

The Cheetah and the Mustang I think are the only ones that are small enough to fly with a D12-3. They do not need tape as they come with a adapter to hold them. It is part of the kit.

Reply to
Bullpup

I wasn't going to use a D, I would be using an Estes E as opposed to an Aerotech E. There is no specific rocket I'm thinking of, it was a general question.

Reply to
Zorfox

E9's are even more problematic than D12's in heavy rockets - they have a very low peak thrust, which makes them more suitable to lighter rockets. Also, the heavier motor may shift the CG aft, making stability a problem.

The physical "fit" of the motor is just one of several issues to consider - it's something that can't be answered "in general", more specific info is needed.

One other thing - Estes E9's are 90mm long; if the motor mount is designed for

70mm motors, you'll have to use tape for either a tight friction fit, or around the mmt tube and motor to hold it in place, depending on what's feasible in your case.

But yeah, Aerotech 24mm motors and Estes 24mm motors fit the same "hole".

Reply to
BB

till you launch one, then it tears a new hole....in the sky!

or is there and Aerotech motor that is as wimpy as an Estes E?

Reply to
tater schuld

Actually, yes!

Some of their 24x70 RC reloads are pretty close.

Reply to
BB

I've never used an Estes E9, but I've heard they have very low thrust for their weight.

Reply to
NaCl

A D12 is good for almost double the rocket weight.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Wow, that would be a BIG mistake. The Estes E class is no where near as "thrusty" as the Aerotech Es. Estes E motors are long duration low peak impulse engines. The Aerotech engines are shorter duration and higher peak thrust. What this means is that Aerotech engines will lift heavier weights to flight stabilizing velocity more quickly. Frequently a rocket powered by an Estes E will not be fully stable as it leaves the rod due to overly slow acceleration. The end result is not pretty. The Aerotech Mustang will not fly safely on an Estes E engine. I know this from personal experience. Been there, done that, wish I hadn't.

Reply to
Reece Talley

OK, I understand now. If it uses Aerotech, Estes won't work.

Reply to
Zorfox

Put a G55-15 in a 24mm min diameter estes rocket and watch it rain cardboard!

yes, it'll fit, but just make sure your rocket is strong enough for the motor and if its got those motor hook thingie thats got to go, same with those motor spacers, the motor would be too long if they were in place. RMS

24/40 has no problems though.

Cardboard Machbuster with G motor! 5 4 3 2 1, lift off! SHOOO!

I'm singing in the rain... im singing in the rain... Im HAPPY again!

OOH theres the nosecone!

Reply to
tai fu

ummmm, we put a G in a (almost) stock fat boy. didn't rain cardboard. only mod was to 24mm (or was that 29m?)

Reply to
tater schuld

I have some 24mm motors to try :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

ROFL, don't often do that when reading posts :-)

Reply to
Ken Baldwin

In many rockets, including the Mustang and CHeeta, the E9 would be a worse choice than the D12. The off the pad thrust of the E9 is significantly less, which can result in severe tipoff and cruise missile flights or ground impacts. Worry less about the letter than the number after the letter.

Bob Kaplow

Well, in the RMS casing there are the D9, E11, and F12, but I'd trust any of them over an E9 for a heavy rocket.

Bob Kaplow

Even that simple statement is not true. Several AT rockets WILL fly on the D12-3. And many third party rockets (Launch Pad, LOC, etc) that use AT motors will also fly on D12s and MAYBE even on E9s.

Bob Kaplow