How to buy F and higher rockets? How to modify small rockets?

I would like to buy F-T Rocket motors/engines. I would like to know if its possible to put a 'T' Engine in a modified 'Gnome' Rocket.

Thanks for All of Your Help,

--Evi

Reply to
Evi

A "T" motor in an Estes Gnome? I'd like to see that!! ;-)

Reply to
J.A. Michel

You're more likely to be able to put a Gnome _INTO_ a T motor!

Steve Vernon former owner of at least 2 gnomes...

Reply to
Steve Vernon

I know the answers about putting the Gnome into a T motor are a joke, but I think he meant to ask if there is such a motor as an F??-?T (similar to the 1/4A3-3T) that he could put in his Gnome or modify the Gnome so it would fit.

As the Gnome is a 13mm motor mount, I don't think there are any F class motors that can be used in it. You could modify the Gnome so that the motor mount is 24mm and there are a few F class motors in that size.

I would suggest talking with a local club as they can show you the size of a common F size motor and the size of your Gnome.

-Aaron

Steve Vern> You're more likely to be able to put a Gnome _INTO_ a T motor!

Reply to
Aaron

And if there is a motor in the Gnome then you have a igniter for that T motor :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Steve Vern> You're more likely to be able to put a Gnome _INTO_ a T motor!

Reply to
tdstr

Evi,

The T at the end of the Estes motor names indicate that it is a 13mm diameter motor. The largest available now is a full A. There are also 1/4A and 1/2A in the same form factor.

If you are not talking about an Estes Gnome (which will only fit a 13mm motor) you may get better responses if you let us know the make.

Aerotech makes 24mm, reloadable F motors. There is also a single use F21 in the same size. The standard sizes of model rocket motors are 13mm,

18mm, 24mm, 29mm. Other sizes are available, but generally are considered high power motors, with some probable exceptions in the 38mm range. Limits on the propellant weight generally limit them to about 120Ns.

All motors that I know of that are F impulse or less are model rocket motors and are available to pretty much anyone (minimum age restrictions at the top end). Most G class motors are considered model rocket motors. Some miss on one restriction or another (more than 62.5g of propellant or more than 100N average thrust) and require either or both of a federal explosives permit or NAR/Tripoli Level 1 certification for High Power Rocketry.

has reasonable prices on model rocket supplies. Many (most?) local hobby shops also have motors for this sized rocket. F size and up are more rare at hobby shops.

Reply to
Thomas Koszuta

No I want a 'T' Like really high powered? Like T= 2x S engine.

Reply to
Evi

Are you aware of just how much power that is?

If you dont' even know where to buy F motors, there is no way your ready for something like that.

(An S motor was used to reach space, to give you some idea.)

You can't buy anything bigger than O, and you need to be properly certified to do that.

Reply to
John Bowles

Where COuld I get This 'O' That you speak of?

Reply to
Evi

Check out tripoli.org or nar.org and check on the certification process. To fly or buy an 'O' you must be level 3.

Level 1 - H and I Level 2 -J,K,L Level 3 - M and above

By the time you are certified to fly an O, you will know where you can get an O, and also understand the BATFE requirements (well, as well as any of us do), and also understand what's involved with the FAA.

Reply to
AZ Woody

How big is Your truck?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

The To100K project launched their full stack on Saturday afternoon at Aero-PAC's Aeronaut launch in Black Rock, Nv. Lifted off on a Cesaroni O-5100.

Two words for that motor...

Absolutely magnificent.

Came to pressure instantly (just like all of Anthony's motors,) and boosted the airframe dead straight up. An unfortunate problem with the sustainer airframe terminated the flight early, but that O motor was a sight to behold. Massive quantities of data were retrieved, and lessons were learned from the flight. I understand the next attempt will be at XPRS Rx, in September, and will use a Swamp Gas O-5000, staged to a Swamp Gas M1700. Going to be pretty kool...

So, Evi...

If you want to fly motors like that, do what the rest of us did...

Go buy an Estes Big Bertha and a pack of C6-5's, and work your way up from there.

(Just so you know, I have a project that I designed that uses a 12" diameter baby T motor to lift a 3" boosted dart at Mach 5.5. Projected altitude... 77 miles. I think that's conservative. I don't think that the sim programs know that there's no air above 62 miles, so they miscalculate the total drag through the flight.)

So Evi, please stop tossing around remarks about T motors and the like. If you don't know where to buy an F motor, you're not ready to go to space.

James

(See what happens guys... You give a kid a computer and a connection to the internet, and they suffer brain fade. Sheesh...)

Reply to
James L. Marino

Here's one place:

Good luck.

:-)

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

Come on. This is a frick'in troll or some shill from the authorities.

Reply to
Kurt

So hypothetically, if you had an antimatter based motor in a 13mm x

1.75" casing, what total impulse class would the motor be?

Alan Still waiting for industrial production of antimatter.

Reply to
Alan Jones

Reply to
Aaron

Go look at some news and an atlas please. The only folks lobbing stuff across national borders around there at present are the Hezbollah from Lebanon into Israel, and the Israelis are hefting ordnance via F15 into Lebanon.

The Iranians are not actually doing any lobbing of anything anywhere at the moment, though supply of lobbing material is another story. If you want to go down that route, then the Iranians and the US are both involved as suppliers.

G.

Reply to
Graham

Chevy Impala probably... ;)

G.

Reply to
Graham

tee hee....good one :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

For the humor impared, I'm pretty sure he was trying to make a joke.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein