What to buy - F & G rockets?

I've become a BAR over the last few months and have graduated to F & G level rocketry. Right now I'm at the 29mm learning curve and while there is certainly a large amount of knowledge on the net, some things you just have to learn by yourself. The problem is that F & G rocketry has relied on Aerotech motors. And it doesn't look like Aerotech is going to be a reliable source of motors in the near future. I'm not so gung-ho right now that I want to make my own motors. Reload them, sure, but not make them. And while I am not anti-social, I don't want to be reliant on joining a group for once-a-month launches. I'd like to just go out to the desert and launch a few F's and G's every so often. You know, have a little fun on a whim.... I'm asking the combined wisdom of the newsgroup what direction to take. Is there a reasonably priced reload system that will let me launch 29mm motors? I'm sure I'll be moving up in the future, but one step at a time. Thanks All. I appreciate any input.....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Inman

Try

for 29mm reload able motor hardware. Get a copy of the book "Experimental Composite Propellant" (also available at Loki Research) and you'll be on your way....

-JT

Jeff > I've become a BAR over the last few months and have graduated to F & G level

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Some would disagree, but I would not count Aerotech out just yet. I have not had problems getting E-G motors lately, reloadable or single-use. I would recommend the Aerotech 29-40/120 casing. This allows the use of E thru G power in the same case. They can be had here for 40 clams plus shipping:

Reloads for it:

Red Arrow is great outfit to do business with!

By all means go fly by yourself and have a great time! However, I recommend join a club and fly with them sometimes as well. There's a wealth of knowledge to be had just by walking up and down the flight line, and people are more than willing to help you out. Besides, it's nice to be around folks just as passionate about rocketry as you are. :)

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

once-a-month

Reply to
J.A. Michel

maxi alpha. but replace the plastic fins with basswood when you stick a G in it, or you'll replace them afterwards (but boy it was an interesting flight)

Reply to
tater schuld

to be perfectly honest, I would just bite the bullet and standardize on

38 mm motors and go with the CTI Pro-38 line, that would be G on up.

CTI is here to stay, and Pro-38s are much easier to assemble and cleanup than AeroTech RMS.

the 133G69-12A is a single 62.5 gram grain so there's no issues there, and you can stay with 38 mm all the way from 81% G to 65% J. Just buy the cases you need as you go along, up to the 6 grain case (unless you want to switch to 54 mm by then, but clustering 38 mm's is fun too).

I compiled a Pro-XX reference table at

many HPR motor dealers out there sell Pro-38s, but Ed at Giant Leap is one vendor I've always been happy with:

Giant Leap Rocketry

frame) products -> (left frame) Pro38/54 motors

scroll down a bit and they have the whole hardware and reload selection right there. Nice website and a whole lot of great stuff!

enjoy!

- iz

Jeff > I've become a BAR over the last few months and have graduated to F & G level > rocketry.

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

that's the best price I've seen for Terry's book :)

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

So far the replies have been:

  1. Use baswood
  2. Don't count AeroTech out yet, buy AT from Red Arrow
  3. Buy Loki hardware and make your own propellant

That is NOT what he asked. He specifically excluded those options from his question.

He is asking what alternatives exist in 29mm NOW he can try out.

  1. U.S. Rockets
  2. Kosdon

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

well, 38 mm is 29 mm, only a bit larger

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

I may be wrong but don't you have to be certified to buy a CTI 133 reload??

Also , wasn't the question about F & G's today? Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Jarosch

in non NFPA states you don't have to be certified to buy any motor, assuming you can find a vendor who will sell it to you, and you either are not a TRA/NAR member or you are and [the organization and/or you] interpret your membership agreement to exclude your non-sanctioned rocketry activity.

in NFPA states, no certification is required for purchase or use of any motor 62.5 grams total propellant or less

the Pro38 133G69-12A is the only CTI motor that meets that criteria

and you can put as many of them in a rocket as you want!

even if your a minor

the 133G69-12A is a 81% G

- iz

Kenneth Jarosch wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Are there ANY?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I sincerely apologize for trying to be helpful.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Your apology is accepted.

Jerry

"I've seen this on other discussion forums on the internet. Someone asks a question and instead of getting either an answer or a link to where the answer is, they get criticized for asking the question. Why do people do that - it takes more time to criticize than it does to be helpful. I think the question still hasn't been answered - so here it is."

- anon

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Just the one you're in...

Bob Kaplow

I went through this awhile back. I bought a LocPrecision HP45 kit. It has a 38mm mount. I went with Pro38 as a motor system firstly because they are made in canada and about 20 minutes from where I live, and secondly, they are incredibly simple to use. Drill your delay, screw the reload into the casing, insert into rocket and launch. I've burned up 4 G69s and a G79SS and have no complaints.

Fly straight!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Thank you all for your answers. In particular: Thanks for all the reload sites and ideas. Certainly a wide range of ideas to investigate, some I hadn't considered. Thanks for the Red Arrow site. Although I want to get into reloads and away from AT, it's a nice site. And I may end up buying one or two more ATs SU's before I get started. Thanks Jerry for having the integrity to bring up, but not plug your own site. So far it seems like the most comprehensive site from a manufacturer / retailer standpoint. And, yes I'm going to visit our local club's launch this weekend (Albuquerque Rocket Society). I'm sure I'll get other opinions there as well.

Again thanks to everyone. You've given me several points for further research.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Inman

'looks like those guys have a sweet launch site too

you don't see many sites like that here in the northeast, though our METRA field is plenty big. If only I would stop falling in those irrigation ditches while I'm tracking parachutes ...

think "CTI Pro38 133G69-12A"

sample street prices as of 1/6/04

fixed costs Giant Leap BlackSky Magnum

1 Grain Casing $ 26.99 $ 24.95 $ 24.50 Delay Adjustment Tool $ 14.95 $ 13.95 $ 13.50

recurring costs

1 Grain Reload Kit* $ 22.49 $ 20.95 $ 20.50

subtotal $ 64.43 $ 59.85 $ 58.50 shipping $ 10.75 $ 8.00 $ 9.05 HAZMAT fee* waived n/a $ 20.00

total first-time cost $ 75.18 $ 67.85 $ 87.55

*HAZMAT fee where applied is 1 fee for any number of reload kits

Giant Leap Rocketry

BlackSky
Magnum

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Heh, if yours is like mine (was) then you get to glue those back on every other flight anyway. Hated those fins and replaced them with basswood a long time ago - it's on number 50 at this point.

Reply to
Tim B