Re: How to get into Hi Power Model Rockets

I am a fully disabled man in Long Beach, Ca. and in order to save my sanity

> I am interested in getting into Large Diameter rocketry (I really wanna wear > the T Shirt "Why Yes...I am a Rocket Scientist")

you don't even have to launch anything. But spend some money with Doug anyway and buy a shirt.

> I understand there is a thriving community but info is surprisingly cryptic > or hard to come by...especially the cost

Well, DUH. You think we want our spouses to find out how much we're spending on this crazy hobby? If we let that out then our little "community" would be much less "thriving". ;-)

Seriously, though, if you have made it this far through my blather check out

for some decent generic info.

Also check out

and
and see if there any clubs launching out in your area. Then go to a launch and meet some people, as that is the best way to get addicted...er, I mean involved.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I think he has in mind visiting a SCRA/Shecter launch.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Wow!

the response has been really more than I expected!!! Lots to mull over...I think the Santa Fe Dam is the best for a first shot and I am looking forward to a lift in early 2004...assuming around $500 for a first effort (just a guess since a cursory look says "sky's the limit" - [i made a funny!!]) It would be sooner but money trees are in short supply!!!

Look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Reply to
TheOutcast

Um, what in the world would cost $500 for a "Model Rocket"??? "Model Rockets range from $5 to maybe $50 for a really large one (and a bit more for a big scale model kit.)

Or are you talking about a "High Power Rocket"?

The only type of rockets allowed at the Santa Fe Dam are legal "Model Rockets". "High Power Rockets" are not permitted.

Details are at the SCRA website along with the legal launch days.

If you are interested in "High Power Rockets", then please contact ROC. Here is their website:

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I suggested he get a Fat Bot or a Big Daddy and a few packs of D's and E's based on his emailed comments. Never fear Fred, "NAR legal" only at your launches.

However I suggested he could use those plus a USR Start with larger E, F, G motors at certain other launches. I suspect he is a model rocketeers and is not aware how cheap model rocketry really is.

2nd Sunday 9am

Perchlorathon Lucerne Dry Lake

3 mi N of Hwy 247. 1 mi W if Hwy 18 3rd Saturday 8am
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Coming up in October:

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I've got some camera payload construction photos, tips, and drawings online:

RayDunakin

Hey!

that's real neat...pictures are a bit small...i assume you have comprehensive instructions available???

Robert

BTW When I said "fully disabled" I really meant that I have a nuerological dysfunction that prevents me from leading a normal life but I am quite high functioning. NO I arent crazy!

Reply to
TheOutcast

As I replied in the beginning, ROC is the club that conducts High Power Rocket launches in the LA region. They launch at Lucerne Dry lake once a month and there is a link to their website on the SCRA website links page.

Here it is directly:

Contact them. Also look over their links page. I am sure that there are dozens of ROC people who will help you start and complete your project(s).

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Thanx!

got the site bookmarked and Dad said he may go with me to the Nov. launch fest to check "This crazy stuff out"

Robert

Rocket launches in

Reply to
TheOutcast

They have so many rules, restrictions and fees it is hard to recommend them to anyone except someone already hooked into the evil TRA treadmill.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine