Q: Any protocol to launch small rockets in New York?

Could anyone tell me or point in the right direction to find out if there is any formal or recommended protocol to launch small Estes model rockets in New York state? I haven't launched any model rockets in at least 15 years and to be honest I was never more than a young kid using empty school yards and abandoned runways in the city without explicit permission from or notififying anyone besides my own dad. Now since obtaining a bit of land in a rural farm county in upstate New York I've had an itch to buy a starter kit (under the guise of it being for the children). Are there any rules to play by? As stupid as it sounds I'm afraid everything changed since 9/11.

Reply to
<ms

any formal or recommended protocol to launch small Estes model rockets in New York state?

was never more than a young kid using empty school yards and abandoned runways in the city without explicit permission from or notififying anyone besides my own dad.

I've had an itch to buy a starter kit (under the guise of it being for the children). Are there any rules to play by? As stupid as it sounds I'm afraid everything changed since 9/11.

AS long as you are flying Estes model rockets there are no regulations that you should worry about. Common sense rules do apply though ..

do not launch in the presence of low flying aircraft do not launch in a field that you do not belong (seek permission of the land owner) do not launch in a field where dry conditions exist where a fire would be a problem Be aware of non launch participants,( framers, kids, BULLS)

You way check with the local fire Marshall to see if there are any local regulations/restrictions.

The club that I fly in launches a couple of times a year on Cobelskil NY

Check the website for launch dates .

The Sept launch is the "invitational" for club members, so you're sol until next year. There is another club based in New York which may be closer to you.

Check out the national club sites. NAR is more "model rocket" oriented so that may be the one that you go to ...

Good luck, allot has changed in the hobby since we were last kids !

John

Reply to
John Karpich

Yeah, gotta watch out for them Framers. The're a squirley bunch of SOB's. They think the only use of wood should be for framing pictures, mirrors, etc. I say eternal hell to all framers.

Best regards, Mark Daughtry, SR

Reply to
Mark Daughtry, SR

is any formal or recommended protocol to launch small Estes model rockets

Go here:

and read the safety code. Otherwise call your local fire department and ask about your local regs.

Randy

<randyolb

No, I think he meant framers, as in the framers of the Constitution.

We always have a designated framer spotter at our launches, just in case one pops out of the ground unexpectedly at the last minute.

Reply to
Vince

[...]

are right what I had in mind. Bulls, fires, farmers oh my.... Now I have to ask if NAR membership would be recommended for the additional liability insurance? KC

Reply to
<ms

You don't have to worry about the framers popping out of the ground. Once they see what we have done to the Constitution they return to their hole. On a quiet day you can hear them sobbing.

Mario

Reply to
Mario Perdue

One key in dealing with regulators of any kind. If they ever say "NO", demand a copy of the actual regulation or ordinance that prohibits rockets. More often than not they are guessing, and no such regulation exists. It's easier for government burrocrats to say no than to risk something happening on their watch.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

27 CFR 555.141-a-8 antics is hard proof of it too.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine