Folding large parachutes??

Hey everyone,

I just got a 15 foot military surplus chute a few days ago for about $50. It came all packed in a very small deployment bag, lines and all. I took the parachute out to look at and soon realized how big it actually was. When I tired to get it back in the bag, I had no idea how to fold it small enough to get the chute to fit back in the bag. It was originally packed so that the apex was at the top of the bag and the shorud lines were at the bottom.

Can anyone give me any tips of folding a parachtue of this size into a deployment bag?

The other problem I ran into was that the 20 foot lines get tangeld very easily. They got tangled so bad that I had to remove all 8 shroud lines from the cannopy to get the knots out.

What do you guys reccomend for preventing tangels when folding and handling a large chute?

Thanks a lot,

Tom Sak

Reply to
TJ

Hey everyone,

I just got a 15 foot military surplus chute a few days ago for about $50. It came all packed in a very small deployment bag, lines and all. I took the parachute out to look at and soon realized how big it actually was. When I tired to get it back in the bag, I had no idea how to fold it small enough to get the chute to fit back in the bag. It was originally packed so that the apex was at the top of the bag and the shroud lines were at the bottom.

[...]

E-mail me and I will talk you through it...

Erik Gates snipped-for-privacy@gbrocketry.com

Reply to
Erik Gates

Many years ago I learned the secret of untangelling parachutes. This ASSUMES that they started out in life untangled, i.e they were built without tangles. Work from the canopy down to the knot, or vice versa, and untangle ONE shroud line. The rest should then fall free, also untangled.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow