Estes Outlander has landed

I saw one on the peg at Hobby People.

Check you local suppliers or you favorite online retailer.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

did it stay there long?

(supposedly on their way to our store, but not yet)

Reply to
tater schuld

I just ordered one from Hobbylinc.com.

Matt Oresky TRA 7645 L2 Member Tripoli South Carolina About 50 miles from Orangeburg, SC !

Reply to
Matt Oresky

I was at the local HobbyTown and Hobby Lobby Saturday and both had several Outlanders. About $18/$19 each.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, Oh

Reply to
KG8GC

So what's the scooop on this thing ... is it an almost RTF plastic concoction or a Mars Lander sort of kit? Given the price, I'm suspecting the former ....

-tw

Reply to
Tim Wilson

Read all about it:

I seldom see balsa in "RTF plastic concoctions".

;-)

It is cheap because it is made in China. Just like the new Moon Landers (appearing in a newspaper near you in the near future).

-Fred "How 'red' would you like your 'red planet' to be?" Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

The only plastic (and it IS pretty large) is the piece that is used to make 1) the 'engine bell', 2) the 'ascent module' (the big cone-shaped portion) and 3) the actual 'nose cone' (the very top inch of the ascent module). You are expected to be able to use a razor saw and small circular file for these pieces, so it's not RTF.

The 'body tube' area is two pieces of BT-60, the 'cylinders' that you see on the side are body tube pieces, with die-cut caps. The 'legs' appear to be absolutely identical to Mars Lander legs, with a (IMHO) slightly better design for the 'springiness', in the sense that you CAN fix them if the elastic breaks. As mentioned, I believe the legs to be absolutely identical, and I don't think it would take too terribly much work to make one of these into a 'Mars Lander' (i.e., the engine/leg assembly could be used intact, with outer shrouds.

Estes lists it as a skill level 3, and it is a 12-page instruction sheet.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

And as a side note, somebody might be able to 'market' a 'conversion kit' ...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White