Re: Vintage Scouting question (Akela-1 scout rocket)

Bill:

I can't answer your question directly, but I am cross-posting to rec.models.rockets, where (according to Google) there has been some discussion of this rocket over the last several years. Also, I did a quick search on SCOUTS-L and didn't find anything in the archive. You might consider posting your question there:

Good luck,

Fred Goodwin Alamo Area Council

Recently on another message board, questions were asked regarding > the history of an old Cub Scout model rocket kit that was offered > through scouting retailers back in '70's. The rocket was called the > Akela-1 and was sold as the official Scout model rocket in much the > same way that the Pinewood Derby cars were sold and continued to be > sold today. Does anyone have any information regarding these kits? > We're hoping to find a color photo of one, but so far we've only been > able to come up with a small B & W shot. Does anyone know if there is > a collectibles market for old scouting memorabilia? I'd appreciate > any information that anyone could provide. (A lot of us are old > scouts turned born again rocketeers and would like to build a copy of > the Akela-1 to commemorate our years in scouting and rocketry.)
Reply to
Fred Goodwin, CMA

I think Centuri made the rocket. Sorry I can't tell you more but I'm sure someone else can.

TK

-- Cogito ergo bibo

Reply to
TDKozan

IIRC, that rocket is still being sold in modern form as the Estes Viking.

Ted

Reply to
R Ted Phipps

Yes, Centuri made the rocket - Estes now sells basicaly the same thing as the Viking. I've searched Ninfinger and JimZ's site but haven't found any pictures but I'm sure somone has some for you- have you tried old scouting magazines?

Dale Greene SPAAR 503

Reply to
Dale Greene

Centuri made the original and it came in a box of 10 or 12 (I can't remember the exact number) so that cub scout dens could buy and build in bulk.

It used a white Centuri #7 tube (thicker wall than Estes BT-20) and a two piece injection molded Centuri nose cone (red cone/black shoulder). The card-stock fins are the same as the Estes Viking. The Estes Viking uses standard Estes sized BT-20 and whatever nose cone they currently make (probably blow molded).

I had boxes and boxes of them in 1979/1980 that I got from the guru of the Pearl River Seminars - he bought a ton of them when they were being dumped for close to $1 a box. I moved them to California with me and they were used up long ago. I kept the info sheet on how to build a launch controller from an extension cord, some battery clips, a trailer light and a doorbell button. I even built one that can be seen for a few seconds in the completely horrible movie "Amazing Grace and Chuck". I suspect that Gigli is better.... At least I got paid.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Hey alright - it was a SPAAR member doing the review! I didn't know of this site!

Dale greene President SPAAR 503

Reply to
Dale Greene

piece injection

whatever nose cone

Yes...thicker Centuri tube.

The red nosecone had a more rounded tip and fit the thicker BT. It will not fit in Estes tubing. It's also a much heavier and more robust nosecone than the Viking nosecone.

Nosecone comparison:

The card stock fins are not quite identical. There is a slight difference in the length of the trailing edge of the fin, which also causes the angle of the fin tips to be slightly different. It was easily noticable to me just by looking at the two different fins, but it is not easy in this photo without printing the image and measuring.

Fin comparison:

I have four nosecones left over from the Akela-1 kits and a single unused fiber fin. Unfortunately, I don't have any orginal packaging or decals.

I brought this up a few weeks ago here on r.m.r. looking for a good photo or face card so I could get an idea for the original paint scheme and decal. I only got a few responses. In the mean time, I found the Yahoo Old Rockets group and posted the same question there which has gotten me good results...including one of the members posting to the scout groups about the Akela-1, which resulted in the crosspost reply that began this thread. I guess I just ain't popular enough to get good results from the r.m.r. regulars myself. ;)

tim

Reply to
Tim

From 1975-76 Rocket Times:

Meanwhile, back at the launch pad - Model rocketry is no an officially sanctioned activity of the Boy Scouts of America! Centuri has been selected as the sole supplier of MODEL ROCKET DERBY products for Scouting competition. The MODEL ROCKET DERBY, is similar to the famous Cub Scout "Pinewood Derby", but with rocketry excitement! Teh "AKELA-1 rocket kit is the heart of the program... using all pre colored parts it can be assembled in any one of 24 different fin configurations. The streamer recovery rocket kit is sold singly and in economical 8-packs. It includes complete instructions, plans for an easy home-made launcher, plus decals and metallic spec-plates. The B.S.A. Power-Pad launcher, and flight supplies with rules for three flying contests are also available, All MODEL ROCKETRY DERBY products are very competitively priced ... probably the best bargain in model rocketry today! If you're into Scouting, check with your leader. (NOTE: These products are not the same as the rubber band powered B>S>A "Space Derby".) "Model Rocket Derby" products are not sold directly from Centuri. See your B.S.A. dealer.

Reply to
Chris Lantaff

He's using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158. Jacob Thurman had this same problem a few days ago using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106.

Looks like maybe Microsoft didn't fix everything from one minor build revision to the other .

Reply to
Anonymous