Delta II - Grail: Anyone know how to make a cluster work like this?

Check out the separation at around 1:30. I'm sure this is beyond my skill level, but does anyone think they could recreate this? My guess would to be with timer. It's an awesome effect. The clusters are a little wide on the rocket and I imagine that could create some stability issues unless there were some engines firing in the body tube simultaneously.

Any thoughts?

lab~rat >:-)

You could have the burnout initiate a latch release, released at the nose end and hinging off at the bottom.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:08:37 -0400, Tom Biasi puked:

At what scale would you do that? It appears that 6 motors were dropped and another three remained, not including the ones that were firing inside the body tube. That's some serious power, even using A motors that's more than a D of external boosters, not including the motor that burns through the multiple cluster in the body tube.

lab~rat >:-)

Even if you did it large scale it would probably me hard for anyone to see what happened.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:32:35 -0400, Tom Biasi puked:

Maybe so. In that case, maybe use mini motors on the boosters. Depending on the weight maybe keep the flight down around 750 feet. But at that scale the release mechanism would have to be really light.

lab~rat >:-)

You don't need much for a release mechanism. I have used jet-x fuse as a retainer which burns at the end of the motor burn. Play with some ideas, it's fun.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi