car paint/BR blue?

Does anyone know of a car paint spray code number/make which would
approximate BR loco blue from the early 1970s? (I have ordered some from
Phoenix for a a pair of reasonably good models but I have a few old Limas
which I want to tart up without the expense and wait for delivery)
Thanks
JD
Reply to
john dolan
NO! You'll spend as much on buying the incorrect paint as you will on getting the correct stuff...
Reply to
:Jerry:
I must admit it doesn't include rail blue anyway, but here's a thread with a list of a fair few railway colours and car paint alternatives:-
I doubt if you'll get an exact match to phoenix elsewhere, but then colours on the real thing weren't 100% consistent anyway, especially after a few days on the road.
Reply to
airsmoothed
But there is a problem with car paint: it will lay down a thicker layer than model paint. That can and will obscure fine details. Don't ask me how I know... ;-)
I do use a light coat of zinc chromate primer on metal, however, to provide tooth for the model paints. It doesn't have to be a covering coat.
HTH
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Site Timeline