Any news on NRM 'Deltic'?

Any news on delivery of the NRM 'Deltic'?

Thanks,

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

I haven't heard anything other than that there was a 'problem' which had to rectified before the models could be shipped to the UK.

If you compare the image on page 90 of the January issue of British Railway Modelling with that on page 25 of the January Model Rail I am tempted to wonder if the 'problem' is the shade of blue used on the production models.

The Model Rail photo is of an example on display in at the Bachmann stand at Warley. It *may* just be down to colour reproduction in the magazine but the finish appears much closer to early BR Express Loco Blue than the Powder Blue used on the prototype Deltic.

Regards, John Isherwood.

Reply to
cctransuk

"Ian J." wrote

I'd heard a remark that they were all sitting at Barwell before Christmas awaiting boxes, but that may only be a rumour.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

----------------------------------- John...

Are Bachmann models shipped from Hong Kong to the UK unboxed, for final packing to take place here?

That sounds fraught with risk while they are en route half way around the world!

Regards,

DigitisED (Eddie Bellass)

Eddie & Margaret Bellass, Merseyside, United Kingdom.

Eddie Bellass

I can't say about Bachmann as such, but re-packing on entry to the UK (or wherever) is normal procedure - the Chzech crystal that gets sold under the Doulton name arrives in a container full of boxes, neatky packed, and *every single* item is unpacked and then re-packed in company boxes - the wastage is immense. The same goes for vehicle spares. I wouldn't be at all suprised if models were not the same.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Eddie Bellass" wrote

Not normally, but I assumed they were referring to the wooden boxes for the limited edition models, which might be manufactured in a different factory in China to the normal one which makes the models.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Perhaps it's the loose flywheel collar problem which is afflicting so many other locos in the Bachmann range?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

I think you mean the universal drive socket which doesn't seem particularly well secured in the flywheel. Relatively easy to fix, but this relatively widespread problem should have been picked up at the quality control level.

Very poor in my opinion, and absolutely no information from Bachmann suggesting that stock should be tested on receipt or at least before sale.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I received a letter from the NRM today advising that the models would be despatched the last week of January. This was due to a production delay they were not made aware of by the manufacturer until January 2, 2008.

Steve

Reply to
Steve C

They knew fuill well the models had not yet been dispatched ("despatched?) and yet they still raided everybody's credit card account?

Makes me think twice about placing an order for one of the next batch...

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Having been reassured by our manufacturer that everything was on schedule prior to Christmas, payment from your credit card may have been processed prior to the 2nd January to ensure a swift despatch[sic] of your commemorative packaged Deltic model".

Steve

Reply to
Steve C

"Steve C" wrote

Does that refer to the Limited Edition or standard production model - or both?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

Not raided my account for the standard production model I ordered well before Christmas.

Under the terms of my retail credit card agreement (with HSBC) I am not allowed to debit CNP (customer not present) transactions until the goods are ready to DESPATCH. The NRM could be in breach of their credit card facility if they've done otherwise.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I believe it refers to the limited edition of 500 as my credit card was dinged for this on Jan. 2. As long as the model shows up the first week in February, I'm not going to worry too much about credit card agreements :-)

John - what do you do when you need a deposit for a high value, special order item and the customer wants to use a credit card?

Steve

Reply to
Steve C

"Steve C" wrote

special order item and the customer wants to use a credit card?

We don't take deposits. If I could't trust a customer to pay in full when the item appears I wouldn't take the order.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

We send stuff direct from supplier to customer (trade), and never see those orders. Our agreement just says (in very long words) "don't charge for things unless there is a reasonable expection they will be delivered". A lot of on-line companies add "allow 28 days for delivery" in their terms & conditions to cover that sort of thing.

A deposit is a "supply" of goods, even if it only shows intent, and can be viewed as a product in it's own right (certainly as far as accounting systems go).

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I placed an on-line order with Hatton's on 30 December; my credit card was charged the next day. I didn't receive a message that the item had been shipped until 10 January. Perhaps they had an extended Christmas break, but I would still not have expected them to put the charge through 10 days before shipping.

Reply to
MartinS

Depending on the shop's card handling system, there's a limit on how long you can "reserve" a payment on a card without having to let it expire and then take payment again. It's possible, in this case, that they knew they were likely to exceed that limit but, as they were sufficiently certain they'd be able to deliver the stock, they completed the payment within the timescale to avoid letting the order lapse.

The system by which retailers can reserve a payment and not have it show on your card statement until the item is actually dispatched is, in any case, a bit of a con trick! Retailers like it because it benefits them, but it's usually presented as a benefit to you in that your card is not ostensibly charged until the order is complete. In reality, what's going on behind the scenes in such cases is not necessarily to your benefit and, in some cases, can place you at a significant disadvantage. As a customer, it's often better to simply pay up front and have the card transaction show on your statement on the day you placed the order.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge