Lock cylinder choice.

Let me start by introducing myself, my name is Robert Gill and I work in property management in Vancouver, British Columbia. I have a question regarding standardizing the locks within the four commercial office buildings that I manage. I've just taken on this position in the last six months. The buildings are heritage type and were all built in 1911. We do have a moderate amount of tenant turnover each month, so we do have an associated cost with repining cylinders each month. Over the years, the previous building management had no set policy or procedures for maintaining the locksets. Honestly, I have just about every lock manufacturer represented in the buildings. Schlage and Schlage Primus, USCAN, Sargent (mortise and knob sets), Kwikset, Wieser, Mul-t-lock, Medeco. I even have doors that have the original 4 pin Corbin and Best I/C locksets. Most doors even have a mix of the fore mentioned locks. Did I also forget to mention that previously management encouraged the building operators to pin the lock cylinders on their own? So as you can see, I've really got a mess on my hands.

Seeing as how I'm going to have to change most of my locksets and deadbolts in order to standardize them, I've decided to go with the old reliable orbital knob set (lever set if required by the building By-Law) and matching deadbolt.

I recently found some information on the Videx Cyber-Lock And I've already been in contact with the local supplier and have received the typical sales spiel. I do like the apparent simplicity of the system. A tenant in arrears can be locked out very easily and once paid up can be let back in with out the need for changing the cylinders. Lost master keys can be eliminated very quickly. Master and sub masters can not be duplicated. Trades can be given one key that can open doors in the four buildings relating to their specific needs. And from the looks of it, if the cylinder ever screwed up it could be drilled similarly to a conventional cylinder. Auditing the locks to see when and whom accessed a suite or area is also another bonus.

My fears about the system are: A) The possibility of being screwed if Videx went out of business, got bought by a company that then decided to discontinue the system or if Videx simply discontinued the cyber-lock system. B) The hack ability of the locks, it is after all an electronic device with contacts directly exposed to the public. C) Unknown software glitches or limits.

So now I throw the question to those more experienced than I am. Should I consider using the Videx Cyber-Lock cylinder or is there another route that I should take?

You can respond to my email address, but I would prefer that you reply to the newsgroup.

Thank you

Robert W. Gill

Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:

Rob

Don't be so sure. It's possible to retrofit many locksets with ones that take a different key system, replacing the cylinder but keeping the rest of the knob/latch/bolt mechanism. If some or all the existing locksets are of good quality and in good condition, this can be a cheaper solution.

Of course if you *want* to replace them all, combining that with a major rekeying effort makes perfect sense.

Which is available in several form factors and can retrofit some existing locks; see previous comment.

"Yer pays yer money and takes yer cherce..." If this happens, the main problem would be not being able to extend the system or replace damaged/lost components. If you're worried about that, you could consider maintaining some replacement stock on your own site. Though I think there's reasonably good odds of their lasting a while, or (if they do get into trouble) being bought out by someone who continues the product... How often do you expect to _need_ parts and support?

Unlikely to be hacked into, if they've taken anything approaching reasonable care in design. I'm not sure how vandal-resistant they are; ask the manufacturer.

Welcome to the real world. There's always a risk, but this is a simple enough product from a software point of view that I'd be surprised to see much trouble from it. They can tell you what the memory limits are re number of active keys/locks. (I *think* the limit's on the keys, but I'd have to recheck that.)

Haven't actually worked with this product. Your questions aren't unreasonable ones.

Personally, I like the concept behind their design; simple and fairly versitile. The key's a bit bulkier than I'd prefer, and the cost is a bit higher, but it's not a bad trade-off. It may or may not be the most cost-effective solution for your needs, so I'd suggest you do some serious comparison shopping and look at other solutions before plunking down your money. As always, don't forget to allow for future expansion to additional locks (doors, storage areas, padlocks? etc.).

Thank you! Too many people want it the other way -- which is NOT optimal; you really want us critiquing each others' answers... <grin/>

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

This would be an option if the locksets were some what standard throughout the buildings. Unfortunately our doors have mixes of locksets and finishes i.e. a bright brass handset with a brushed stainless dead bolt. On some doors you can find combinations of 90 year old Corbin or Best locksets with Schlage or Wieser deadbolts. Not only that, but it was only since I started with the company as a building manager 3 years ago, that we actually started ordering heavy duty deadbolts and locksets, prior to that there was an "anything goes" mentality. Residential grade was considered the top of the line. Still in place in some of the buildings are hollow body deadbolts, that in an effort to save time, were often installed without the inner ring to keep them in place during a 'pry' attack.

I was thinking more along the lines of what's currently happening to Kantech and their door controller hardware.

I'm a big fan of USENET and except for very personal or high security type responses, I think that the dialog that's started in a newgroup shold stay in the news group. Who knows, there may be another property manager out there somewhere lurking around trying to find an answer to a question that is similar to mine.

Reply to
Rob

According to the web site

the key doesn't work below 32 F / 0 C.

Wouldn't want to use it outside in the winter.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Reply to
Jim Gaynor