Regional Popularity of Lock Brands

What is the most common brands of lock where you are?

Here in Northern Virginia, it is:

Kwikset/Titan Schlage No name crap Baldwin Weiser

In Toronto (if I recall correctly), it was:

Schlage Weiser Off-shore stuff Kwikset Yale

In Edmonton (if I recall correctly), it was:

Weiser Schlage Kwikset Cheap-o junk

In Miami (if I recall correctly), it was:

Kwikset Schlage Arrow Medeco Imported junk

Sunshine Locksmith Team

SunshineTeam.net

New Zealand

Lockwood (Australia) (owned by ASSA-Abloy) Legge / Schlage (Owned by IR) Interlock (was local, production moving overseas, now owned by ASSA-Abloy) Bi-lock (Australia - cylinders only - usually used with Lockwood or various Asian locks) Yale / Chubb / Union (imported from UK, owned by ASSA-Abloy) (especially BS

3621 5 lever - approvd by insurance companies). Various Asian brands key-in-knob (from handyman / builders warehouses) Abloy padlocks Abloy / Medeco / Kaba cylinders (generally used with Lockwood mortice cases).

The Australian oval type cylinder is predominant for commercial, etc and is produced by various manufacturers including the high security ones mentioned above.

Reply to
Peter

Northern Indiana:

Kwikset/Titan Schlage Some old Yale Cheap spin-offs of Kwikset or Schlage The occasional Marks Baldwin here and there

goma.

Reply to
goma865

That's cool. Great idea!

Reply to
Mike Easter

I've also noticed that around here in Northern Virginia, the knob style of Schlage seems to be bright brass Plymouth (squashed oval).

The knob style of the Kwikset is the Circa bright brass (more oval).

In Toronto, the knob of the Schlage was bright brass orbital.

The knob of the Weiser was the 2 toned satin chrome/copper (I forget the ANSI number) in the tulip style.

However, it Edmonton, the colour of the knob was the copper (ANSI ??). Pretty much everything there was that colour.

In Miami, we had more 625 shiny chrome than in any other city I've been (among the other colors there as well).

I've also had to custom retrofit new locks onto the oddest thickness of doors there. Something about living on the ocean I guess that makes a rich homeowner want the shiny chrome lock and 2" to 3" thick doors.

Sunsh> What is the most common brands of lock where you are?

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

Much the same, in the western NY area. After KW/Ti I'm seeing about equal Weslock, Weiser, Schlage, and the no name Taiwan junk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon