Antique safe with a surprise.

Had a call yesterday to repair 2 safes at a restaurant that had been wet from Hurricane Katrina. Both where very old H.H.&M's. The 1st one went easy as the owner couldn't get it to lock and the parts where cleanable. Took less then an hour to have it working. Then came the big double door safe. As the owner was trying to get it open for me he told me the history of the old monster. Seems his father bought it when he opened the restaurant some 30 years ago from an old jewelry store. After over 2 dozen runs of the combo it opened for him. After he opened the door and I was working on removing parts, he said he thought it had tear gas in it some where. It just happened that I had the tray with the tear gas in my hand as he was talking about it. Turned it over and there was 2 tubes, about 6 inches long, full of a clear liquid. Told him I needed ice and he had a worker bring me an ice chest half full so I could start chilling it. I took it and all the parts I removed back to the van to work over the crud on the wheel pack and all the rusted items removed. Put the gas in the front seat and started wondering about my sanity at that point. Not only did I have 2 "hot" tubes of tear gas, I also had 2 30lb. propane tanks in the van for my FEMA trailer. Would be a perfect time to get into a wreck with some 30 miles to drive back home. By the time I got home I decided the freezer was out of the question. If it froze and cracked the glass I'd have a mess airing out the trailer for sure. So I left it outside hoping the neighbor's lab wouldn't get it. Maybe I'll give it to the police so they can use it to disperse protesters.

Only the second time in over 32 years that I've ran across a safe with it still there. What's next? Nitro?

Reply to
mrbillg

3 blocks from me is an old safe that is 'still armed' with its tubes.. I convinced the guys to NOT mess with it.. and they were happy to do so..

SAVTA had a story last issue about opening bank vaults down there.. was interesting.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

CN/CS gas has a 10 year shelf life. after 30 years it's generally seperated from the dispersal agent. why would you freeze it? just seems kinda silly fo me.

Reply to
fugi

---snip some---

we accidentally set one of those off in the shop where I apprenticed. had to shut down the shop for the afternoon !

Reply to
Key

Mostly to try to slow down any reaction IF the tube broke. I doubt this stuff is cn/cs. I broke one from about 30' several years ago and I remember wishing I was at least 30' farther.

Reply to
mrbillg

I would agree that someone, that has no training in the safe removal aspect, should not even get near it, let alone try to remove it.

Have to get the issue. Done 7 vault doors since K, as well as at least 100 safes. To get an idea of what about 80 of them where like, take an old working combo , set up, and soak it in salt water for a day or two, then lay it in a cool place for a week and then try the combo. When you open the back, there should be a fair amount of white slime. Once it dries, the wheels lock up, force turning the dial will cost you a fly. It's just not the same as a "normal" safe opening is.

Reply to
mrbillg

Hey, i need a part if you had one.. Got a Sentry 3407,, semi new, was bought, wheel pack removed for 'grandma'.. she could spin the dial and open it and be happy.. but, the wheel pack got lost.. Sentry dont do parts..

Now, need wheel pack.. this is the 1.2 cu ft one.. mechanical dial. keep your eye out.. its not a hurry..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I have an idea here, why not make your own wheels?

Seems to me an hour or so with a set of dividers and a little straight forward metal working skills you should be able to make a couple of wheels as good or better than the originals.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

they pulled everything.. the driver arm, etc..or I would..may have to anyway..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me