Follow up AR locks

Except for dead bolt & dead latch are there any other AR locks I should have in van? William

Reply to
William S. Gilman

You'll find out as you go along. It depends on your area.

To check for a bad flip-up lock, turn the key and push down on the flip-up at the same time. If it skips, it's bad. Show the customer. Tell them it's a matter of time before it craps out. Replace. Install cylinder guard rings at the same time. Keedex hardened steel rings.

Sunshine Locksmith Team

William S. Gilman wrote:

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

..ok..'might' keep a long throw bolt..in whatever backset you use most often..

OTHERWISE, I would use the short hook types.. they will go where the long throw bolt was USUALLY, unless you got 2 doors meeting in middle..then in some cases the long throw is better..

LOTS of spacer rings for lock cylinders.. perhaps some 'armored' rings as well.. thumb turns in both finishes.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Those are the ones I see most commonly. They also make one with a bolt that has a notch in it, for sliding doors.

I see almost exclusively 31/32 backset, though one parts house thinks everyone uses 1 18 backset. What do you find?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I carry one of each...

31/32 MS (bolt) 1 1/8 MS (bolt) 31/32 deadlatch 1 1/8 deadlatch 31/32 hookbolt 1 1/8 hookbolt

Paddle handle (silver) Paddle handle (dur)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

When I was working Toronto:

For flip ups, I would carry 1 of the shortest, 1 of the longest, and about 2 to 4 each of the other 2. Occasionally I'd come across a store with more than 1 entrance, and it would happen that more than 1 latch was bad.

I'd only carry 1 of each spring latch.

Never did I carry a hook bolt. I had 3 reliable suppliers in town that I could run to if I needed one. I don't think I ever did need one.

I'd have at least 1 of each face plate for the flip ups. Beveled left, right, curved, flat. Duro and satin chrome.

I'd have 4 to 6 of Schlage, Weiser, KW1 satin chrome 1" keyways, and 2 to 4 of the 1 1/8" size satin chrome, and maybe 1 of each of the 1 1/4".

The same in duro. No 1 1/4" though.

I'd have about 2 each of Schlage, Weiser, KW1 in brass 1", and maybe 1 each of 1 1/8" and 1 of 1 1/4". A few of the old mortise locks on the houses took the larger size.

I'd have about 2 duro and 2 satin chrome thumbturns and 1 duro and 1 satin chrome blanks.

I'd carry a dozen satin chrome and a dozen duro hardened steel cylinder guards. That was an easy up-sell. Most of the time.

I'd carry extra set screws. Both sizes. Occasionally I'd come across a lock that needed the screw broken because the head was stripped, or the screw was totally missing and the previous "locksmith" just tightened the lock so tight that it amazingly didn't undo from regular use.

Get a few bridges. Sometimes the screws holding the lock in place are missing or stripped. A bridge will save the day and add to the profit. I don't remember how many sizes of bridges there are, but I think there are 3. One for each bevel, and 1 flat.

There are also mounting plates that can be used instead of the bridges. I preferred the bridges because it looked nicer, but once or twice I needed to use the mounting plates.

I never carried paddle handles or other parts. My suppliers were usually close enough for a trip.

If the flip-up latch detent springs inside were broken, I'd just replace the latch. Really no sense in repairing something that worn out. But that's just me. From what I understand, they can be repaired. Never actually did it though.

I carried a lot of that because that's the general market I had. Like I said previously, you'll learn what's in your area and stock what you need. Unless you're hours away from a supplier. Then you'll probably stock it all and save the headache and lost profit.

Sunshine Locksmith Team

Sunsh> You'll find out as you go along. It depends on your area.

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net