Your Service Vehicle

Article of the Week is about your service vehicle.

You can add to the article by clicking the "edit" button on the top of the page. Upload photos by clicking the "upload file" in the side bar.

If you need more help just contact me.

Locksmith Wiki Knowledge Base
a World of Information

Reply to
LocksmithWiki.com

Login Required From Locksmith Wiki Knowledge Base

You still want to much information, but to make things easier I'll just add you to my killfile.

:-)

This site is free! No signup or membership fees required!

To register for a new account, we will need to know the following. (It may help to copy and paste the below list into an email when sending this information to us).

1.. Desired Username 2.. Email Address 3.. Real First Name 4.. Real Last Name 5.. Home Street 6.. Home City, State, Zip, Country 7.. Home Telephone Number 8.. Company Name 9.. Company Street 10.. Company City, State, Zip, Country 11.. Company Telephone Number 12.. Web Site Address 13.. Current Associations and your Member Numbers 14.. Other information that would be helpful in verifying your identity and your credentials as a locksmith or security related professional

Please email all that to snipped-for-privacy@locksmithwiki.com or fax to

1-727-230-0736. We will create an account once you have been verified. You will be sent a confirmation email containing a random password. If you do not hear back within 48 hours, we may not have received your email or some of your contact information is wrong. Please resubmit.

We reserve the right to refuse an account if we feel you do not qualify for membership status. Therefore, sending pictures of your business card, Yellow Page ad, suppliers invoice, etc. sure does help in verifying your status as a locksmith or security tradesperson.

Thank you, Gilles Deacur LocksmithWiki.com

Reply to
BogusID

I can see why he does it but it is a lot. That's as much as for clearstar although the items on the list are a little different.

Reply to
DB

Unfortunately the weekly topic is not available for perusal unless you give him all that info first.

Without a standing reputation or referral, value and intent needs to be demonstrated before I'm giving out that much info for a shell the members are building upon for them. I appreciate that nothing is free, but members seem to be taking all the risk without a proven ROI.

Having a public core home page with a decent statement of purpose and goals, with some topic categories would have developed more interest.

I can see more here without risk...

BogusID

Let me address a few things:

I really don't see what the fuss is about giving your name and address. I'm not going to visit you, and it's not like I can steal your identity from it.

The reason for it is to establish that you are a bona fide locksmith. Some of the information in the site will be sensitive to security.

My name is Gilles Deacur and if you're looking for my life story, here it is:

I have been a locksmith since 1987. I took the infamous Foley Belsaw Course when I was 14. Locksmithing looked so interesting. And it was. I was starting this as I entered grade 9. I was in an enriched program and was allowed to pass this course off as an extra credit in school.

As part of the course, I was encouraged to job shadow with a local locksmith, so I gained the trust of Glen from Lockshop Security Systems in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada. I spent about 2 or 3 days on site with them and kept in contact with Lockshop. They helped me figure out how to take apart the Weiser knob sets (I really destroyed the first one I did before I asked them how to really take it apart).

I was too young to even have a driver's license, so I had to have my mother drive me from job to job. There were quite a few surprised looks from customers when they saw my mother drive me to the site in a Volkswagen Rabbit and tackle their locks. I (and my mother) couldn't wait to get my driver's license.

I operated out of the 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit and eventually saved money for a nice used 1987 GMC 1500 van.

After the driver's license issue was resolved, I continued working until I realized I didn't have enough skill to do all the jobs required. Even though I took impressioning and other basic skills, I was turning down a lot of automotive and commercial work. So I found work with another locksmith when I was 19. Then when I was 20 I moved to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and took up work with Aegis Lockworks. The crew there was very knowledgeable and this was at the same time locksmith licensing came into effect in Alberta. The Red Deer College's very first class was held that year.

I wrote off year one of the exam, but elected to take year 2. So Evan from Aegis sponsored me and off I went to Red Deer for 2 months. I realized I was excellent at automotive in that class after passing with the top grade. I took year 3 of the locksmith program at Red Deer about 2 months after finishing year 2.

Well, I got sick of Edmonton weather so I moved back to Toronto before I could take year 4. I started "Toronto's Finest Lock and Safe" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. That turned out to be very successful for 7 years. I moved from the 1987 GMC 1500 van into a 1996 GMC Safari. It was tough working the parking garages in the full size van, so that was a major factor in converting to a smaller van.

I met my wife in Virginia, USA, so I closed up my business in Toronto and moved to Stafford, Virginia. I had a tough time deciding whether to start up on my own again or work for another locksmith, but I eventually started as the store manager for the Stafford branch of Baldino's Lock & Key.

That lasted about 2 years before I really decided I wanted to work for myself, so I went on my own, keeping operational expenses down knowing I was going to be moving the family to Florida in a short while. So, operating out of a Chevrolet Aveo, I eventually moved into a 2006 Dodge Sprinter, where I am at the current time. Remembering how sore my back got working out of the Safari really made me want that Sprinter.

We made the move to Florida and I started Sunshine Locksmith Team. We love it here. My plans are to eventually have enough staff that I don't need to answer the phones 24 hours a day.

Now, if you want my locksmith business web site, here it is:

Do you want my BBB standing? Here it is:

And hey, here's my info:

Gilles Deacur

8449 82nd St N Seminole, FL 33777-3610 USA 727-216-7912

Whoop-ta-dee-doo! Now I guess the boogie man is going to be knocking down my door.

That's what the screenshots were supposed to do, and the category links. Also the "Recent Changes" link gives you an idea of what's going on at

Oookay... that gives you NO information other than a brief description of locksmithing.

So far there's about 1400 pages on my site with the bulk of it dedicated toward automotive parts, pictures, keys, code series, wafer locations, etc that are actually USEFUL in servicing automobiles.

Whether you join or not, I don't really care. It's not like I'm making money from you signing up. But some people will see a valuable benefit of having a place to record servicing articles, uploading photos, noting the wafer positions, seeing which remotes work for a vehicle, the transponder programming sequence for a specific auto, etc.

The site will be expanded to include safes, alarms, biometrics, particular lock brands, key cross-references, codes, etc.

You don't want it? Whatever. Don't eat my bandwidth. I don't care.

Locksmith Wiki Knowledge Base

a World of Information

Reply to
LocksmithWiki.com

Hey Gilles, No worry mate!

He's obviously not a member of any real Locksmith forum sites. Just visits this public newsgroup. let him get on KP, LC, IL. CSN, TNL or any of the other real sites such as yours without saying who he is. By the way I'm a member of all of the above and many more with the exception of CSN. Still alive too. Haven't been wacked off by the internet boogyman yet. Still logging into your site as well. Looks like it's comming along well. Keep up the good work. Also use the kill file or block sender list and ignore the person scared of saying who he is. I did a while ago and only see his post when others reply to it.

Enjoying locksmithing since 1986.

A-1 Action Services Roger A. Cann, Owner

125 Mann Blvd. Newport, NC 28570
Reply to
Roger Cann

For whatever it is worth, there are others who are not badguys who are not locksmiths, but who have a healthy respect for things that have to do with all forms of security engineering, strengths and weaknesses, of which locksmithing is an important part.

There are those of us who like to hang out in locksmith communities to gain a better understanding of the various types of security that locksmith's engage.

Your website is exclusionary to people like me and others who have a healthy interest - not criminal - so that puts you against me - and if you are against me then I guess I should be against you and your website. Whatever your historical locksmith background.

If I were a locksmith I wouldn't sign up to use your website because I consider its questionnaire to be intrusive. It is against all manner of privacy considerations - which I would think that privacy and locksmithing should go together, not be at odds with each other philosophically.

Reply to
Mike Easter

If the site lasts a year or two and builds up a bit of a database it may be worth it but for now there are plenty of well established ones around. That's the way I see it anyway. I seriously doubt that there is anything there yet that can't be found elsewhere.

Reply to
DB

Actually you could, if you have access to a number of information brokerage databases or someone who does. For about $75 I can pull your complete credit history including SSN from what you posted here. $25 if I'm willing to forge your name. It wouldn't be strictly legal to do it either way under federal law but identity theives don't much care about that. Neither do many of the brokers selling the data. You sound reasonably successful and I'm guessing you probably have decent credit and fairly low revolving debt so you would probably make a good target. I can also think of some uses you could put the membership numbers that you ask for to as well. I doubt any of that is your intent. Your intent is probably just to drive traffic to your site to make money off your google ads. That's fine but there are plenty of other established sites around already. Maybe someday I'll check yours out if it stays around.

Reply to
DB

The problem is that most locksmith sites want SOME way to make an effort to keep out people who are likely to misuse the information they provide. The best way to do that would be a criminal records check but that is usually considered too difficult to implement. The method most settle on is to limit membership to locksmiths, i.e. those who 'need to know'. The problem with this is the one you bring up in addition to the fact that it really isn't all that hard for a determined individual with ill intent to successfully pose as a locksmith to gain access. When this happens the site operators will probably never know it. You could make the argument that security by obscurity is futile and that such sites should just be open to everyone but I think this argument is ultimately moot because most locksmiths wouldn't post sensitive information to an open site. Additionally open sites bring total novice questions like: 'How do I pick a kwikset' which could be answered by a simple google search and most locksmiths don't want to deal with that noise on what is suppose to be a forum for professionals.

Reply to
DB