The History of the Lock

The article I'm featuring this week is "The History of the Lock".

Got any info or pictures to add to the article? Go ahead and add them.

I decided to turn this into a "lesson" article with questions at the end you could probably direct new users to. Hopefully this will be the first in a long series of lessons on locksmithing topics.

Locksmith Wiki Knowledge Base

a World of Information

Reply to
LocksmithWiki.com

Nice site. Much more free exchange of information than here.

Reply to
Tim

Not that nice. No FREE exchange of information. Perhaps if you post your password I can see for myself.

Reply to
Paul

RU Tim Mathews?

Reply to
Steve

How would you know? You obviously haven't ever seen it.

Wrong again.

Perhaps if you post your

Why would I do that? Get your own.

Reply to
Tim

How would you know? You obviously haven't ever seen it.

Wrong again.

Perhaps if you post your

Why would I do that? Get your own.

Reply to
Tim

Yes

Reply to
Tim

LOL Tim Mathews, the non-locksmith, Tim Mathews, who despises keeping locksmithing info confidential has gained access. So much for verification of locksmith status. You can bet anything posted on there will be shared far and wide.

Reply to
DB

Ha-ha! Maybe that's why he signed up ... it's the principal of the thing that all knowledge should be shared and not hidden right? Hey Tim - please let us know if its really worth sharing personal info to get into their wiki!

Reply to
BogusID

If he's on here admitting he got in the info he gave is probably fake, or the name Tim Mathews is fake. One or the other. Think about it. He knows people here will at least remark on it and the stronger SBO advocates will probably send an email to the webmaster. If he used his own name he will get his membership pulled. This is ultimately the problem with all need to know based security precautions on online sites. How hard is it really to masquerade as a locksmith? It will set the bar high enough to keep out some of the undesirables not willing to put in any effort or expense, but ultimately if they want in they'll get in if they have to buy a yellow pages ad to do it. Pay sites especially have a real conflict of interest between their stated goal of providing security professional only access and losing out when it comes to their bottom line by being too aggressive at screening out applicants/paying customers. Even the free site operators are usually selling something or trying to drive ad traffic so they face the same conundrum.

Reply to
DB

Yup, stays in my killfile, no personal info from me, no value beyond monthly mags I already get.

Reply to
BogusID