Glue in lock?

CNN had a story this morning about a shopping mall where a vandal got in at night and squirted super glue into the locks of a couple of dozen stores. The story said that locksmiths had all of the stores open by midmorning. How do locksmiths typically deal with a situation like this? Is there anything that can be done short of drilling the locks?

Reply to
Bob Hanna

the story I seen said the locksmith couldn't identify the type of glue.

by

sorry, that would be giving defeating instructions. refer to the FAQ.

short answer is YES.

Reply to
Key

Defeating instructions??? Please... it's closer to arts and crafts. The locksmith would try to break down the glue.. or at least thin it out till the point the lock could be picked or opened by key. The lock would then be removed for further cleaning and servicing. Most glues can be broken down... with the exception of some 2-pack glues that go off like steal..... An expensive and time-consuming exercise that could easily land the perpetrator into jail for maliceous damage, loss of revenue and costly repairs... Answer your question Bob??

Reply to
nice2cu

There are lot's of chemicals that will allow removal of glue.

We use several & insert w/a hypodermic.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

and crafts. The

thin it out till

disagree, not the way I would have gotten them open. if I told you how a locksmith would handle this situation ? (it would be giving you defeating instructions) wasn't the way "the locksmith" in question done it either. surly not in the time frame mentioned !

agree...

Reply to
Key

Key... Give us all a break........ It's Amazon.com that sells 20 books on locksmithing and its' secrets. that sells 16 books on safe cracking that sells 25 books on lock picking that sells 4 books on forced entry that even sells Hank Spicer's book on auto locks.... ON the internet primarily US sites... you can buy picks, pickguns, all locksmithing tools and all safe tools. The University of Pennsylvania is running a course taught by an ALOA member on the art of beating MK systems........ On the internet you can take courses on picking, manipulation and general lock defeating...

and on and on

Let's get real here.... Bob only asked an intelligent question and I didn't give away any secretss........ I have in front of me, I have every code for allmost every lock in the world and you've got an issue with me for discussing glue???? Maybe if you spent your time dealing with the real issues that effect our trade and less time playing.......... maybe I could make the same wage as a plumber........ Up and until that happens...... keep your advice reasonable and logical and quit treating people who come to this newsgroup as idiots. Bob.. I hope your original question was answered??

Reply to
nice2cu

Thanks, nice2cu,

I was kind of amazed at the "defeating instructions" criticism. I guess if I had asked a question about lubricating locks, I would have been seeking instructions about defeating corrosion!

I would think, however, that using a solvent to wash out the glue would require knowledge of the type of glue.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Hanna

It would be a matter of economics. The preferred method would to be try and deal with the glue with solvents, heat etc so that the correct key will get the lock open (even if it means stripping down and cleaning the cylinder).

If the cylinder does not fairly readily yield to this, then drilling and other usual means would be employed to get the lock open. Any foreign objects could be fished out using picking and other tools (like a very small sawblade). If a locksmith firm gets several similar calls, they would presumably get the locks open first then call back later in the day to reinstate the locks. Businesses would generally call their regular locksmiths who can replace restricted or masterkeyed cylinders keyed as the original cylinder.

Unfortunately it still costs the poor shopkeeper money.

The method used could also depend on initial circumstances such as when doors of TAB's (off track parimutual shops) in Melbourne, Australia were glued up on the day of the Melbourne Cup.

Reply to
Peter

Reply to
nice2cu

I meant stipping down and cleaning once the lock has been opened eg the key may be tight ar may need to be wiggled to get the plug to turn.

Reply to
Peter

Using acetone(sp?) would not be considered defeating instructions.

However, a locksmith would not use that method (I know I certainly wouldn't). And the method I would use would most definitely be considered defeating instructions because it would also open a working lock. And defeating instructions aren't given here for obvious reasons.

Hope this clears things up.

- Bob DeWeese, CML snipped-for-privacy@spaambearlock.com (remove "no spaam")

Bear Lock & Security Service, Inc - A full service locksmith company specializing in professional, cost effective solutions to your Commercial, Residential, Safe, and Automotive Security Problems.

<>< The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; Let the distant shores rejoice. Clouds and thick darkness surround him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him and consumes His foes on every side. His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles. The mountains melt like wax before the Lord, before the lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and the all the people see His glory. Psalm 97:1-6
Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

what a f***in ass hole-

i think a simple answer would be one of the following:

-we drill the lock out, then replace it-

-we use MEK to clean them to the point that the key will open the doors/gate then they are removed, cleaned better or replaced.

this is such bull shit that this could not be answered in a public forum.

Reply to
JOCK tec

There are two ways. One is for shopping malls where no-one gives a damn about the price of the lock, they just need to get open on time. This might be noisy, if that is quicker.

The other way is to preserve the lock because you don't want to destroy it, and you can afford the time. Assuming the glue used was superglue (cyano), then several solvents will shift it pretty well - use a syringe and needle to get it into the back of the cylinder and flush it out forwards. If it was epoxy, then the lock is scrap (cheaper to replace than to clean out)

On a major building that's locked every night, you might also rotate the keying of locks to enhance security, or periodically replace lock barrels just because of wear. Additional damage from glue just kicks the normal cycle along by one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

criticism.

locks, I

corrosion!

instructions.

certainly

definitely be considered

working lock. And

reasons.

thats exactly what I was trying to convey but some folks just don't have a clue. not ment to be a flame. just a fact..

Reply to
Key

---snip---

really depends on the lock as to what method would be used to open it.

open the doors/gate

you wouldn't have done it using that method in the time frame that was given.

a public forum.

looks like you also missed the point. do you really have to use that type language to try make your missed point ?

Reply to
Key

looks like you missed my point all together.

its' secrets.

pickguns, all

by an ALOA member

manipulation and general

true, however all that really doesn't apply on this forum.

question and I didn't

lock in the world

desolving the glue wasn't my point. alternative opening methods were.

that effect our

the same wage as a

reasonable and logical and

just maybe ? if you read my responce again. you may understand my meaning ?

situation ?

either.

until you do, you can keep your opinions to yourself. here it is for you to read again

Reply to
Key

criticism.

corrosion!

the glue

sorry you misunderstood Bob. it had nothing to do with the use of glue. I said;

situation ?

Reply to
Key

Unfortunately some people do. Just a matter of class (or lack there-of).

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

lack there-of).

locksmith company

your

Problems.

not saying I never use that language. I just respect most of the folks on this group.

Reply to
Key