Lock gun tool

Has anyone seen those lock tools which are now coming into more common use that resemble little guns? It kind of looks like a hot glue gun with feelers coming out of it.

I got locked out of my house and I can't believe how fast the smith poped my lock. It was SOO fast it took less than 2 seconds.

I am wondering can someone please explain how these things work? I couldn't see if it only has 1 pick coming out of it or a bunch for multi-tool use.

I am familiar with smithing and smithing tools in general so feel free to use technical terminology. I am just curious about the specifics concerning these tools such as:

1) Who makes them and what are the models called? 2) How many feelers do they have and what kind of picks are they? 3) Are these tools geared for specific locks (i.e. certain number of pins etc...)

Any information regarding these locksmith tools which resemble little guns would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Reply to
TiHKAL

Key

SM: Yep, know just what you mean.

: : I got locked out of my house and I can't believe how fast the smith : poped my lock. : It was SOO fast it took less than 2 seconds.

SM: Some locks open quickly, others take forever, and some really fight the locksmith.

: : I am wondering can someone please explain how these things work?

SM: I don't teach lock defeating (for security reasons).

: I couldn't see if it only has 1 pick coming out of it or a bunch for : multi-tool use. : : I am familiar with smithing and smithing tools in general so feel free : to use technical terminology.

SM: On an open forum such as this, there is no way to know who's reading. So, I just simply dont teach picking, or lock defeating (except bathroom locks indoors).

: I am just curious about the specifics concerning these tools such as: : : 1) Who makes them and what are the models called?

SM: Locksmith tool makers make them.

: 2) How many feelers do they have and what kind of picks are they?

SM: One, or more. As needed.

: 3) Are these tools geared for specific locks (i.e. certain number of : pins etc...)

SM: Yes, they are.

: : Any information regarding these locksmith tools which resemble little : guns would be appreciated.

SM: There is a good reason why this information isn't distributed. Because criminals would then try to use the same technology to burglarize your house. The same tools and techniques locksmiths use to provide legal and lawful entry. I understand your curiosity. Please understand why real locksmiths don't teach lock picking.

: : Thank you! :

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The same reason magicians don't tell. It spoils the illusion.

Reply to
Al Mundy

Pick guns have been in common use for 30 years or more.

When you pull the trigger it it causes the to strike the bottom pins, the force is transmitted through the bottom pins to the top pins which then jump upward creating a temporary gap at the shearline.

1

Kinda hard to believe you haven't seen a pick gun before then.

Lots of manufacturers do a search on pick gun or snap gun.

Reply to
Steve