mailbox lock ruminations

After much dispute, the individual mailboxes have mostly gotten their mailbox locks screwed in rather than just being there, shored up with duct tape, etc. I have an example here, but do not see any name or other way of identifying the type of lock.

It is the Old Style cheap brassy lock. Slightly better grade keys.

The hardware store guy said this is the lock you need. The lock store guy in Manhattan said one was stuck with the Old Style lock.

  1. Is this so?
  2. Any other way to add security to this system?

I thought of a metal plate with screws attached at the back. This would prove that whoever took off the bolt at the back did it from inside, and didn't just take the screws out from in front. No one seems to have heard of such a thing, and it's more metalcraft question than locksmithing per se I think.

Reply to
Tiro

You are rambling. It appears that you have an old apartment mail box that uses flat steel keys. (Eagle, Lori. Bommer)

If this is so, the only real improvement would require a new mail box, and those are still subject to attack with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Well, at least you're starting halfway through the story. What's the actual problem you're trying to solve?

If you want to replace apartment mailbox units (presuming you're the landlord), remember to talk to the post office since they will need to install their own lock on the door for delivering mail.

If you just want to alter/replace the locks on individual apartment boxes, that can be done but may be more trouble than it's worth -- and again, I hope you're the landlord or have cleared it with him since the mailbox is his property rented along with the apartment. If he says "no", your choices are live with it or move.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

You have *no* idea how I hope this story is finished.

Why? they are cheap and although they provide minimal security it's better than none. The new little flat keys are a bit sturdier that the old little flat keys.

If someone takes the *lock* off I will replace it. The battle has been about drilling the holes in the box wall to screw the lock onto the wall. This has been done.

Was just wondering if any New Improved Versions of mailbox locks existed. Apparently not.

Reply to
Tiro

The newer style apartment boxes come with a newer style lock which is a little sturdier.

If you have the older style mail box that had the tabs that would break off you can do several things to effect a repair. First you can use pop rivets installed from the outside of the box, these work real good. The second choice is to buy smooth head (slotless) screws or small carriage bolts, and attach them with nuts on the inside. This prevents removing the lock easily from the outside.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Key

Thanks muchly!