Trailer hitch lock help

Hi all,

We have a trailer hitch lock we use at work. I forgot the darn brand name, but it's a popular brand---chrome on one side (where the lock is) and black plastic on the other side. Uses a double-sided key, which I believe takes one of the "The Club" blanks. The key is stamped with a number, in this case "012".

We just got another trailer, and for the sake of convenience I'd like to use the same keys for both trailers. I went to the auto parts store, and of course none of the locks they had have the same code on them. I asked the parts counter guy if he could order me one with key code "012". He called the distributor, they told him there's no way to do that. The lock codes are randomized. I understand that, and also why they do that, but I know they must have 5000 locks there, I guess nobody wants to get off their duff, dig around in the pile for 5 minutes, and find me an

012.

You're saying: "Why don't you do it the right way---take both locks to a locksmith and have him match them up?", but This lock doesn't look like it's made to be taken apart.

Just wondering if anyone has a constructive suggestion, or perhaps knows of a quality brand of lock I can buy two of, which can easily be rekeyed.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dean M <" to aol

several brands come to mind, locksmith should have something that can be done... Master Abus (my preference anymore) and ther are others

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

why dont you post the brand name, someone can call their distributor for you, auto parts stores might not be able to match the # but a lock distributor will.

Reply to
todd

I just called the auto parts store. The brand is "Draw-Tite". We called Draw-Tite from the parts store--they are the ones who said the only way we can get keyed-alike locks is to buy 12 at a time. I don't need 12, just 2.

I'll be checking their website, if they have one, to see if there's a decent photo of the item, but at this point I'd rather just buy two new hitch locks with the same key, or re-key one to match the other.

Anybody got a model number for a lock which will let me do this?

Thanks for your time!!

Oh, as a P.S.; My local locksmith, who's not real enthusiastic about research, can't match a key blank for me. It's another key for the same trailer, but this lock is a cyl> why dont you post the brand name, someone can call their distributor

Reply to
Dean M <" to aol

Master is good with keyed alike things like this.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

---snip---

enthusiastic about

for the same

slides into the

The blank is flat

1/2 hour until I

there are many "RONIS" keys is there a code number stamped on it ?

Reply to
Key

Does thev store have any locks like you need that happen to be keyed the same? If so just buy two and keep what you have as a spare. Or go with one of the other good suggestions people have offered up.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Reply to
Dean M <" to aol