Weatherproofing a lock or deadbolt

Many, many, years ago, I saw a unique solution to a problem of sand and salt air getting into a door lock on a beach-front vacation house.

Owner had taken the lid of a large (1 qt, approx.) jar and cut an opening in it so that the lid fit between the lock and the door. When he was leaving for the week, or whatever, he screwed the jar onto the lid, thus covering the lock. I have always thought that was a slick solution to protect seldom-used locks.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case there's someone out there who hadn't seen or heard of it before.

Reply to
Ralph

Nope. Pretty original.

Reply to
DB

Had not heard of this before, but it sounds like a great product opportunity for someone.

It would probably not be too difficult to fashion a mortise/rim trim ring with threads that would support a screw on cover like that. Key in knob locks would be a bit more difficult though...

Cool idea.

Reply to
BogusID

Most locks now days use a 2 1/8 inch cross bore, so it shouldn't be too hard. Knob locks? Same cross bore, but a bit deeper container.

I think this is really a good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Excellent!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was thinking about a weather and contamination cover for the cylinder, not necessarily the whole lock.

1-1/8 for mortise and rim, with a outer threaded trim ring to support a screw on cap. Key in knob would need some kind of flip cap, probably integral with the core, or can be inserted between the plug and casing without screwing up tolerances.

Hmmm, should Ralph find a patent attorney?

Reply to
BogusID

Might as well do the whole lock if at all possible. Salt spray etc will take as bad a toll on finish as the internals.

Reply to
DB

Good idea if the lock isn't visble to the public. If it is, it's like a sign saying "I'm away from home a lot. Come on in."

Reply to
Carl Delaney

Here's a cross between a shield and a lock. Looks pretty effective.

Al Mundy