Anyway to attach two pieces of a key long enough to get a new one recut?

My ignition key broke in two. Its has a resistor chip in it. Ordered a blank key from ebay. Need to take it to a locksmith to get a new one made. Can a locksmith cut a new key from two pieces? thanks

Reply to
bill hill

Sure a locksmith can make a new key for you. He probably has the correct blank in stock also, How do you know you are getting the right blank?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

My car is a 94 grand key. I hear it is anywhere from $60 to $80 to get a replacement key from the dealer. I measured the resistor value of my key and it was about 520 ohms, which supposedly is a code

  1. I hope a locksmith can cut this key from Two pieces. Check this link out:
    later bill
Reply to
bill hill

funny, my local dealer charges $22

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I havn't done anything yet with the resistor chip keys. But I'd guess the mechanical cuts are the same depth and spacing as the other six cut keys. So, even a mechanical locksmith such as myself should be able to decode the pieces of key, and then code cut the blank to factory spec.

You presume that locksmiths don't stock resistor chip blanks. Some do, some don't. You can expect the same insulted reaction from your locksmith as if you'd walked into a diner with two eggs and two slices of bread, and asked them to cook you breakfast.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It doesn't much matter how many pieces as long as you have them. Decode the key and punch out or cut a new one. Locksmith, dealer, anybody that can originate a key can do it for a lot less than $80.

Reply to
Steve

How is it you stay in business? It's 20 year old technology.

But I'd

You would guess? Don't you have any books at all?

So, even a mechanical locksmith such as

A locksmith and a lot of other people can, whether you can is anybody's guess.

Why? You claim you're a locksmith and you've never even cut one of them.

Reply to
Steve

ACTUALLY, they are VERY cheap blanks now.. one of my suppliers was offering an 'after market' one recently for under $3 each the bigger problem is NOT the key but the LOCK goes bad SO easy

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Easy job! Any Competent locksmith can cut this for you! Our charge is $19.95 and we furnish the key. You furnish the blank and it's only $15.00. if the two pieces are in good enough condition to place in the key machine vice and just duplicate it's only $2.00...

Like I said Easy job, Don't be scammed!

Reply to
Roger Cann

Thanks for the info fellows. i didn't realize that locksmiths had acess to this kind of blanks. I thought you could only get this done at a dealer and you know how they usaualy screw you. Thanks again!

Reply to
bill hill

I've been doing VATS for years.

25.00 for single-sided 34.00 for double-sided (Thats if it is brought to the shop) I also originate.

Never let a Car Dealer or tow truck driver tell you what a locksmith CAN or CAN'T do.

good luck. goma

Reply to
goma865

I was writing to an email friend of mine, earlier today. That one of the biggest challenges that a locksmith has, is education. Many folks have just simply no clue the variety of things a modern locksmith can do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Best advice I've heard in ages.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

my local dealer called up one time, needing help-they cut 2 keys wrong and realized they didnt know what was up., the blanks were $36 each their cost.. $56 retail. so, yes, they can realize that its an expensive thing to screw up some times

--Shiva--

Reply to
me