Toyoto's Transponder Ignition Key

The ignition key to my new Toyota has a chip that programmed only by Toyota, but I don't want their so called security chip in my key. Can my car's computer be programmed to disable the need for this type of key?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill Smith

Remove the chip and glue it on the steering column near the keyhole. Your insurance company may have an issue with this, though.

Reply to
peterwn

Why?

Can

Probably. Almost anything CAN be done with enough time and money whether you will be able to find anybody to do it or want to pay what it costs is another story. The simple fix is to conceal a programmed but uncut key somewhere near the ignition. You would have to determine by trial and error how close is close enough. If the car gets stolen while the anti theft is so bypassed expect the insurance company to refuse to pay if they find out.

Reply to
Steve