Quality Schlage C rim cylinder? And Segal rim lock question...

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there are any catalog supply houses that sell good quality Schlage C-1 rim cylinders?

Does Schlage make these? I can't find any reference to them on their website.

[When I asked for one at my local locksmith, he produced a chinese unit w/lots-o-slop between the cylinder & bore (for which he charged me $16...I just bought a similar cheap unit from hdsupply.com for $3). He was..uninterested..in my request for information about options from other mfg'rs.]

Another question: I would like to buy a dual-cylinder Segal rim lock and re-key using Schlage C cylinders (to match other schlage C locks in the house). I know I can obtain a Schlage C rim cylinder (though the quality may suck) to replace the outside cylinder. My question is, what sort of cylinder is on the inside-side of the lock? Is it a standard type for which there exists a Schalge C replacement? Or will I be stuck with the Segal keyway on the inside?

Thanks in advance,

-ted

Reply to
Ted Phares

Ted:

First off do a google search for "locksmith supply distributors" and find one in your area... They will sell things like cylinders over the counter, but you will pay the retail mark-up...

Second, Yes Schlage makes rim cylinders in the "C" keyway... So do a lot of other manufacturers... You will pay more for a cylinder with the Schlage name on it thought so be warned...

Kaba-Ilco is a good source for quality "generic" brand cylinders available in a variety of keyways... They are less expensive than a cylinder made by an OEM brand-name manufacturer...

As far as your Segal question is concerned, the outside cylinder is a standard rim cylinder... Changing that to another keyway is no problem at all, but the inside clyinder is a different story... The inside cylinders on Segal "jimmy-proof" style locks isn't a standard rim cylinder... It is a special cylinder, with only three pin chambers... While i have never seen these cylinders in a Schlage "C" keyway that doesn't mean that they do not exist... It means that if they do exist that they are rare and will cost more $$$...

I do not recommend the use of double cylinder locksets (keyed on both sides) in houses... You are more likely to hurt yourself or your family if the need ever arises to exit quickly... Fire, Intruder, some kind of Weather, etc... Are you going to remember where you hid the key in the middle of the night if your house is on fire and you begin to panic ??? Are your houseguests going to know where the key is ??? Or are you going to be like most people who install such locks and leave the key inserted in the inside cylinder of the lock defeating the very purtpose for installing it altogether...

IF you feel that you MUST have a double cylinder deadbolt on your door, Schlage makes them... Just buy one made by Schlage and install it on your door... Because in the sad reality of things deadbolts only keep out the honest people... Someone who really wants to get into your house will smash right through a window and climb right on in...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Reply to
mark

yes, you cant afford them..but they do, or did make them..

go dig,.. ask for ILCO brand. google.. cause I dont know where you are, or your phone book IF in a big town.. look for a COMMERCIAL door supplier. the guy that sells the heavy duty metal doors to businesses and schools- (the 4 and 5 HUNDRED dollar doors) OR a place that sells and installs panic bar locks.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Evan,

Thanks for the info. I agree; only single-cylinder locks are installed in the house. This is for a garage door. Lock is right next to the windows in the door.

-ted

Reply to
Ted Phares

sides) in houses...

Is this garage attached to the house ???

Second, do you want to be locked in the garage in the event of a fire if that is your ONLY route to escape ??? Worst case scenario in a fire is that the power will go out if something is really burning and wires begin to melt... Do you want the only man door to safety to be locked ???

If you are that concerned about the security of this ONE door, (which by the way most peoiple's homes have a lock on the door leading INSIDE the house from the garage) then obtain a piece of plexi-glass that can cover the glass portion of the inside of the door in question... A single cylinder deadbolt installed to increase the security of the lock that is already on the door at that point would be enough to end your concerns about people gaining entry...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

The garage is attached to the house, but it has only one passageway--arched double garage doors (that open to the outside) filled w/small panes of privacy glass. Too small for a car to fit inside, it's used as a workshop. One can concieve of scenarios where the double cylinder lock might hamper exit in an emergency, but the reality is that there's no reason to remove the key from the inside cylinder after locking the door from the inside. This is one of the few cases where I'd judge that the slight increase is risk doesn't outweigh the moderate increase in securty.

Thanks for your concern,

-ted

Reply to
Ted Phares

If you aren't going to remove the key from the inside - might as well have a thumbturn there - they'll both work the same, but the thumbturn lock will be less expensive than the double cylinder.

Most of us are quite concerned about even a slight increase in risk for a life-safety issue. I'd rather see some other way (e.g. plexiglass or lexan) of increasing the security with no increase in risk.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

Actually, the key will be removed once the occupant exits the garage. (e.g, unlock door, enter garage, lock door, work in workshop, unlock door, exit garage, lock door.) The garage is pretty small, and has only one door, so it's pretty useless to remove the key from the door lock once you've closed & locked the door.

-ted

Reply to
Ted Phares

memory tripped.. SOMEONE makes a double cylinder deadbolt, that the ONLY TIME, you could remove the inside key was when a key was stuck in the outside lock..

at least they DID, no ideas who or when.. was a safety feature.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Medeco had one, I believe. There may have been another one or two.

And some others had an inside key/thumb-turn which required a special tool to release it. That one would be possible to homebrew, but would be much harder to operate than the commercial versions. (Basically, you'd need to do a broken-key-extraction routine to remove it.)

Not an entirely unreasonable compromise, for things like summer homes where you want a thumb-turn for life safety when it's occupied but are willing to give that up in exchange for greater security when there really should be nobody in the building.

But as others have said, do check local fire codes. In some places double-cylinder locks are flatly forbidden, and even these may not be exempt from that rule.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman