Question on Schlage SFIC - Cobra Locks

Hello,

I'm looking at installing a Schlage Cobra lock in my house. It is recommended that a SFIC be installed into the lock in case of battery failure the lock can be opened.

What is the approximate price of a SFIC?

Also the instructins mention a "cylinder control key", I assume this is the key that allows the cylinder to be removed/inserted. So the presence of a cylinder (or plug) allows the lock to function. In the event of a battery failure/lockout; a locksmith would have to show up with a control key, which would allow the cylinder to be removed and the lock to unlock.

Does anyone have comments on the Schlage Cobra locks?

Pete pstryjew at att dot net

Reply to
Stryjewski

the SFIC takes 2 keys.. the 'core removal/insertion' key, which will NOT lock/unlock the lock, and the regular key, which is 'equal' to the normal house key-this one does lock and unlock the lock in question. 'normally', IMO, YOU keep the core key in a VERY safe place.. and it is ONLY called for when and if you need to remove/repin the core.

the OTHER key, is the one that would override the other part of the lock-so whether you carry this or not would be YOUR call, but DO NOT MISPLACE IT.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

When the Locksmith installs the lock (you aren't dumb enough to attempt this yourself, are you?) just have him install any SFIC cylinder and give you the control key.

It doesn't matter what keying the cylinder has, just be keyed to the control key to remove it for emergency entry!

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Is there something extra special about this lock, that I couldn't install it myself? The door and frame already have commercial lockset in them. From the instructions, it seems like two additional 19/32 holes must be drilled with the use of a template. The instructions show a total of 9 illustrated steps.

The part that I wasn't sure about (and willing to pay a locksmith for) was the SFIC/control key. Like I mentioned, it doesn't look like the SFIC is actually "keyed", but the presence of the SFIC allows the lock to operate.

I don't have a problem paying a locksmith to do work that is beyond my abilities (or threshold of frustration), but this seems to be straight forward. The other problem is that I have found it difficult to find a decent locksmith to work with.

Thanks for the information,

Pete pstryjew at att dot net

Reply to
Stryjewski

if you are 'good with tools', AND can ACCURATELY drill holes in the PRECISE location, I dont see why not.. measure 3 times, drill once..

as for the SFIC, given the cyl and keys.. you NEED TO KNOW WHICH it wants, a 6 or 7 pin, then you can stick it in..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Pete:

If you think you can handle installation of the lock by yourself then go ahead and do it...

If this lock has a SFIC installed in it, it is there to be a "key bypass" to allow an authorized user (someone who possesses the key) to enter when the lock is either in shut-out mode or malfunctioning... A SFIC is always "keyed", whether or not the keys to it are distributed is another question...

You do not need to "get involved" in the SFIC... Just see what the specs tell you to install, either a 6 or 7 pin core... Then go out and purchase a pinned core from a locksmith... All you will need to do is install the core with the "control key" that is all you seem to not be understanding...

"The other problem is that I have found it difficult to find a decent locksmith to work with." -- This sounds to me like you are either trying to tell them what exactly they need to do without fully understanding what you are talking about...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Installation of that lock is known to locksmiths as being one that requires precision. Every hole must be located exactly as on the template and at exactly the right size. It is not a forgiving mechanism.

The SFIC used in the version you have is an override device. It is not required for normal operation of the lock. It's only purpose is to operate the lock when the normal method fails. It is supplied with a key called a Control Key that may be best thought of as a tool for inserting and removing the SFIC. The operating key is the other key for that core and it's purpose is to operate the lock as a mechanical device.

If the lock is designed to accept a SFIC you should >

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.