Falcon Core Drilled - How to replace?

I got locked out of my apartment a few weeks ago, and the locksmith insisted that he had to drill out the core.

So now I'm stuck with a doorknob with no core, but three other locks (the deadbolt on that door, and the lock and deadbolt on the back door) that all use the same key. I would like to replace the Falcon core such that I can continue to use the same key. The guy who drilled my core said it should be easy to get a hold of, and I could probably install it myself and save some cash.

When I called a local lock shop today, they said I would need a bunch of codes, and would most likely need to have my landlord contact the locksmith who put in the locks in the first place. I'd rather not bother him with this, as he told me to just take care of it, and I don't know if he has the right info anyway. Is there any way to get the appropriate information? How can I get things fixed quickly, easily, and most of all, without spending a lot of money?

Thanks.

Reply to
bockj96

you MUST have that info.. and since you dont want to go digging, you got to go the harder way YET..

someone babysit the apartment and you take the deadbolt off and take it to a shop that can do IC Falcon Cores.. your landlord might be being STUPID if he has a master key to all the apartments..he wont now to yours....

anyway, you need the door key, PLUS the CORE key.. locksmith can determine this..wont probably be cheap, nor fast but will be done.. (PS the landlord IF he does this like that, IS NOW locked out. of at least, that door.)

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

So what happened to the core that was removed? It sounds like it was drilled at the control lug. If so it can be decoded so that you have the same control and operating key bitings in the new core that's installed. Do you have a control key or just the operating key i.e. the key that unlocks the locks? Your landlord, if one, should have other cores because that's the whole point of an IC system. Your quickest solution might be to have one of those cores pinned to your operating key and installed. Obviously you would need the landlords cooperation but I don't know why he wouldn't give it.

Reply to
Steve

I'll have to talk to the landlord and see what he has. The operating keys that we have work in all 4 cores. I assume the landlord has the same. It's a condo and the landlord only has one unit, so it isn't like he needs a master key for the building or anything. The building keys are handled by the management company, and is totally seperate. So we really just need this core to work with the same operating key as the other 3, and there are no other requirements beyond that.

Reply to
bockj96

Here is what you do.

You need to talk to the landlord and explain that you were locked out of your unit and that the lock cylinder was drilled open. Tell him you would like to restore the lock to it's previous condition so you would like to know which locksmith he used to set up the locks in the first place.

If he has this information, then go to that locksmith and have him set up a new core to match the old one that was removed.

If the landlord does not have this information, then second best would be to have the landlord supply his master key and his control key to the locksmith and you supply your key. With these 3 keys the locksmith can set up a new core.

If the landlord does not have a master key or a control key then bring a working lock to the locksmith and have him decode the control and generate a new control key and set up a replacement core for the removed lock. You probably should use the locksmith preferred by the landlord for this. The landlord should be supplied with a copy of the control key in case the locks need to be changed in the future.

It also might be advisable to change the control and the keying if no records exist as no one knows who has keys.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks for all of the help. It looks like the landlord does not know who put in the locks (it might have been before he owned the place), nor does he have a control key.

If I'm going to take a working lock with me, can I simply take out the two screws on the deadbolt (on the inside of the door) and take out the core, or will there be a lot more to it?

Reply to
bockj96

take the WHOLE deadbolt half with the key core in it, and let the locksmith deal with it..

AND since the LANDLORD does NOT have the control key, IMO, he SHOULD at least, share in this bill. especially since he has the potential OF getting the control key for the entire system.. thats just IMO.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

LOL He isn't the only one with the potential for getting the control key to the whole building. The best lock system is no better than the people maintaining it.

Reply to
Steve

Dear Bock, Concerning the core lock that you had drilled- find the Locksmith who maintains the system and have hime replace the core. That is the least expensive way. Just pay the guy directly, don't go through the housing office. PS: Use cash- about $75.00..

---- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 3372 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Bill Halle