Baldwin vs. Schlage

I am comparing Schlage (A Series) and Baldwin to use for a remodel I am doing (have to install all new door hardware throughout my house. New doors, so I can use anything. Baldwin claims there hardware is not rated but their brochures say it is grade 1. Is feels at least as solid as Schlage A series hardware. Which is better, more durable, more pickproof, better finish, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Roback

an A Schlage is a grade 2... f is a grade 3 (household)

IF this is a HOUSE- take your pick and pocketbook IF its a LOT of use door.... I cannot speak for the Baldwin, but would use a A series Schlage for 'semi commercial' applications...

grade 1 Schlage? list is over $300 for a door knob... full commercial

pickability? same. durable? depends on the finish, your weather, protected or not, salt in the air... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

The brand of lock has little to do with pickability, it's more to do with the lock cylinder itself. Either product will accept an aftermarket high security cylinder to increase pickability. As for which to buy if you want a high quality decorative lockset buy the Baldwin and an aftermarket high security cylinder (i.e. KABA, ASSA, MEDECO, etc.) If you get bright brass ensure the finish is lifetime warranted, bright brass plasma finish, it will stay bright forever. Schlage A series locksets are good and can provide years of service with minimal maintenance, they will also accept a high security cylinder.

Ron Drew, Early Locksmith Service, Blakely, GA

Reply to
Mojo