lock rec needed for these basement doors

This is a repost without the photos for illustration.

I need a door that someone feeble can push up and it stays open while she exits out of the cellar. I think these babcock davis doors will do BUT I need a deadbolt lock that the enfeebled downstairs can open with a turn of the lock and an enfeebled outside can open with a turn of a key. The door is vulnerable to break ins and last time, the pins were removed from hinges to conceal the unsecured door. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

B-FGP | Floor Doors

Single Door (shown in aluminum)

Double Door (shown in aluminum) Babcock-Davis B-FGP Series gutter frame steel floor doors are intended for exterior or high moisture areas when liquid flow into the hatch is a concern. The frame is constructed with a gutter for water runoff to a drainage system. Our hatches come standard with counterbalancing springs and a slam latch for ease of use. All Babcock-Davis floor doors have stainless steel hardware throughout.

Product Characteristics

B-FGP SERIES Door: 3/16" steel diamond-pattern tread plate. Frame: 3/16" structural steel gutter frame- a 1-1/2" drainage coupling is provided to allow for water run-off. Hinge: Stainless steel butt hinge. Latch: Stainless steel slam latch with an inside lever handle and an outside removable key handle. Finish: Phosphate dipped and prime coated. Spring: Stainless steel compression springs enclosed in tubes, which counterbalance the door to require no more than 10-30 lbs of opening force. Hold-open arm: Stainless steel handle that automatically locks the door at 90 degrees when opened. Handle can be released with one hand for easy operation. Standard load capacity: 300 psf, Optional: H-20 load capacity.

B-FGP Single Door Section

B-FGP Double Door Section

Reply to
neither bilco nor gordon

it sounds like you have figured out the problem...

"the hinge pins were removed from the door" -- just get a standard commerical metal door with a normal commerical grade locks for it...

But here is the trick -- get a continous security hinge for it if the door opens outward... They support the door better are more secure (meaning they have many more screws than the standard 12 you would have holding a door with three normal door hinges)...

If you really feel this door is "wide open" to people breaking in than get an alarm system installed... No door or lock you can imagine or afford for your house will keep out someone who wants to get in... Another thing to consider is there anything in your basement that people wanting to come in might think valuable in anyway ???

Evan

Reply to
Evan