entry lock needed for sliding glass door

HELP, I have a wooden 1 5/8" thick sliding glass patio door that has no exterior lock cylinder in the outside handle. The door was on the house when I bought it 6 years ago, I don't know what brand it is and I can find no identification on the door anywhere. I want to buy whatever hardware is necessary to allow me to lock the back door up when I leave and use this door as an entry door. I have been to the local Lowes and Home Depot stores and can't find anything that will work. My door is wooden, 1 5/8" "thick",(outside to inside), and the door handle screws are 4" center to center. Has anyone ever had this predicament and know where I can buy the hardware necessary to accomplish this? I can't believe there is not something out there that will work. Thanks for any help, Snyde

Reply to
snydley

ehh. ask about Peachtree..perhaps they got something.. forget Lowes and HD, but call the OLDER lumber yards in your area, see if one of them can get you a brand name for the door and a possible lock.. taken the inside handle off the door to see if there is a brand there?

go to

and post in the PUBLIC section and see if anyone can help you out.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I doubt you're going to find a lock cylinder at Lowes or HD. Take it to a locksmith.

Reply to
Steve

Low tech solution. Put on a hasp and use a padlock.

Reply to
Paul

LMFAO Thats how they do it in your f***in trailer park.

Reply to
Punch Job

How wide is the door from the edge to the glass?

I presume your current lock uses a hook/finger latch? When you lock it, does the latch rise upward or drop downward?

Does the plate on the frame where the latch enters from the door support going either/both directions, or is it really short and specific?

Some frame latch plates are flush on the bottom, and only support an upward moving latch... Some frame latch plates have a rod or plate in the center, supporting either direction.

We need more info about how wide the lock must be for the latch to line up properly with the frame.

You may be able to adapt some of the more common narrow stile frame door locks.

BogusID

BTW, if needed you can hide the current handle holes with the new lock style, and use the knob or lever it provides...

With sliding glass doors this is usually ok, unless the door is hard to pull, then you need clean and tracks and maybe slightly talc the bottom track to help keep it moving smoothly.

Reply to
BogusID

Typical halfassed solution-that was just begging for Punch Job's remark.

Most locksmith disributors don't stock alot of sliding door locks. I do have some myself. Might try Wright Products, Inc. Or go to DoItYourself.com

Thats where I ordered from the last Peachtree I redid.

If youre interested in what I have, leave me a message here:

g'luck, goma

Reply to
goma865