sticky sliding door

The patio door on our winter apartment won't hardly slide. Not my place, so I don't want to spend a lot. The salt air has corroded it a bit and it will soon break if something isn't done.

Any suggestions to make a screen door slide easier? Specifically, any lubricant that might work?

Karl

P.S. Nick, is this OT?

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Try wax. Anything will be better than nothing. Candle wax, ear wax, whatever.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I use spray silicone. Works good and lasts about a year. Walt "Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:459d0f1e$0$28820$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

The rollers on all sorts of sliding doors are replaceable and are available at Home Depot and hardware stores. Usually $4-$5 each. If you can't find a replacement roller, I'd also vote for the Teflon spray.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Silicone spray might work. It did on my patio doors at the lake, though that isn't salt air.

Reply to
Don Foreman

At Farm supply stores, they sell graphite lubricant and claim some amazing properties (dirt does not stick and great lubrication). Advertised for bad places like underside of mower decks.

You may want to check out.

Ignoramus12411

The rollers (here, at least) are junk plastic, & break readily. I pulled them out, turned up a pair of metal wheels, & pressed a regular industrial ballrace into each. Still runs, dead smooth & silent, several years later. And yes, I live near the sea, & plenty of muck in the air.

Reply to
David R Brooks

Reply to
JR North

Old Motorcycle chainlube trick: Take little red plastic tube taped to the side of the can and a lighter or matches. About an inch back from the end of the tube hold a small flame underneath the tube. When the tube gets soft and starts to sag, remove the flame. Hold at desired angle while plastic re-hardens

Voila- instant right angle tool to allow precise aiming of lubricant while holding can at correct angle.

Repeat for Ushaped tool - great fun to see idiots srpay lubricant into their own face.

Mark

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:459d0f1e$0$28820$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

Reply to
Mark Dunning

Now, that's a GREAT idea. I'll get some silicone lube and try this.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Spray Silicone

Reply to
Steve W.

There are adjustment screws usually which protrude through the top of the frame to adjust the rollers. I would first loosen them enough to remove the screen door and check the condition of the rollers. If they are broken go to hardware store or Home depot and get a replacement set. After the replacement you can lubricate them easily however you shouldn't have to. The rollers ride on the ridge of the door frame which if one is not seated properly will cause your issue also. when you reinstall the door make sure they are seated properly and then adjust the screws so that it is balanced in the frame and rolls smoothly.

Reply to
pccruiser

brilliant

Reply to
clutch

Here's another

E=MC squared

I don't make 'em up, I am just a parrot repeating trhem.....

With typos.

MD

Reply to
Mark Dunning

Typo :-)

We, when using teletypes and other good stuff - used the ^ to raise to a power.

So E = M*C^2 times == *

Martin - degree in Physics and enjoys movies and stories about Einstein.

Martin

Mart>>"Mark Dunn>>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Sorry I am late on this post but I have been away from the computer. As a locksmith I have fixed lots of these over the years.

Several things might be the problem.

First it could be an adjustment. At the bottom of the door about an inch and a quarter from the bottom there will be a 1/4 inch hole on each edge of the frame. #2 Phillips clockwise raises the door. The gap should be even top to bottom when you slide the door open a bit.

Second, the rollers could be not rolling due to carpet fibers cat hair and general dirt. To clean and inspect them, slide the door open a few inches and lift. This will allow you to tip the bottom of the door clear and remove. Upon inspection, if the rollers have run flat you can replace them for a few bucks at th4e local glass shop or a good hardware store. Bring the old ones to match them up.

The third thing that could be wrong is that the extrusion that the rollers ride on has worn beyond the point that you can adjust the rollers. If this is the case, you can get a U shaped strip at the glass shop for rollers to ride on.

If this is a double glazed door and it is wide, the door is going to be heavy. It is not advisable to repair these on a windy day and a helper can prevent an expensive oops.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf