Garage door springs steel, what to do?

Hi all,

I have a couple of garage door springs. They are about 5/16 round (I haven't actually measured, but that is what I recall). Being that this is spring steel I have been trying to think of uses for the stuff for making tools, etc. The small diameter seems a bit constraining. I have the following thoughts, but would wonder what others might think and/or do with the stuff.

I was figuring you could weld it to the end of say some mild steel and shape to make edges for things like cutoff-hardies or chisels. Of course this is probably more work then it's worth (just go get a BIG coil spring and use that). The latest idea was to make some "cookie-cutter" type cutting dies for poping stuff out of sheet metal. Natually I could make any 5/16 or less punches and/or drifts that I might need.

Anyone have any other thoughts on good uses for the stuff?

Thanks,

don

Reply to
don schad

Repousse punches? You only need so many of those, though. Custom makers mark stamps? Same comment.

I'd probably just sraighten it out and use it as 5/16 stock for hooks and the like. Provided that you don't quench it from a red heat, it really makes no difference that it started out with more carbon than it needed.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Small knives (the useful sort, not the "look at my big knife" sort) - ie marking knives, wood carving knives

Scissors, if you are up for a challenge.

Awls, picks, etc.

Small gouges and chisels for woodworking.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Stone!

Oh, not that sort of challenge?

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Ecnerwal Spaketh Thusly:

Make a decent knife blade to replace the crummy stainless one that came in your multitool (no matter what brand it is).

FWIW: Leatherman FINALLY switched to a better steel for the knife blades in the new model Wave and the Charge, both coming out next month.

-- Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]

Molon Labe!

Reply to
Bill

Cool idea. :)

The trickiest part of that business is getting two parallel sides the right thickness. I resorted to using precision ground O1. :/

What steel is it going to be?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com Spaketh Thusly:

154CM. It was 420HC.

Note that I said "better", not "good" :-)

-- Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]

Molon Labe!

Reply to
Bill

Reply to