Short Back Set Entry Lock Bolts

I want to replace two entry lock sets on my shop to match the interior doors, but the steel doors have a much shorter backset from the jamb than the "normal" lockset.

What do I look for? Where do I look?

P.S. One of the two entry locks is worn out in more ways than one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That's like telling me you have a Chevy and you think it needs another motor but the tranny needs to match... ;-)

Another hobby of mine is Locksport. If your doors have something named on them you can probably rebuild whats there. Schlage, Corbin, Sargent, Kwikset??? Deadbolt, Mortise, Knob, Lever...

The Schuham Builders Catalog in a link here may give you some info to peruse and figure things out:

If your interior doors are Schlage SC1 Keyed or Kwikset KW1 you might be able to use their Smartkey products which you can rekey yourself using the existing interior keys. Not the best locks but easy to rekey and not so expensive...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On 5/27/2023 11:20 AM, Leon Fisk wrote: > On Sat, 27 May 2023 10:16:36 -0700 > Bob La Londe snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote: >

No actually its not. I don't care what trany it is exactly for this query. I already have the engine. I need a tranny to match, and I need to know exactly how to shop for the tranny and if I am calling it by the right name and nomenclature to look for it. I'm not looking for somebody to provide the SKU at O'Reilly Autoparts for the exact transmission.

I tortured your simile with a metaphor. Like that!

I know exactly what lockset is installed in all the interior doors, and I want to install that exact same lockset in the exterior doors. What the locksets are in the exterior doors are is irrelevant as they will be thrown away. If necessary for the sake of this conversation consider them not only already thrown away, but run under an extra heavy highway roller four or five times first. Again nothing about them is relevant. Only the backset of the opening to the edge of the door is relevant, and knowing how to find the bolt that is the right length for the entry locksets that will replace them.

I have the locksets and lock cylinders. I just need shorter "bolts" for them.

I actually spent a year or two in the electronic security business (as the license holder), but I never provided locksmith services except as minor supplemental work. Usually only in relation to access control which may or may not also exist on this premise in conjunction with alarm and video which also may or may not exist.

I feel silly asking really. I know its called a bolt, but most basic searches bring up deadbolts. Sigh! I no longer have the wholesale sources I used to have where I would be asking a vendor who knows exactly what I am looking for. Its been a few years.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.S. On an unrelated topic. Right now I am using a 3D model to create

2D geometry to use 2.5D and 3D methods to create a 3D-ish part.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Leon Fisk

A photo or two would serve to focus people's efforts.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I want to replace two entry lock sets on my shop to match the interior doors, but the steel doors have a much shorter backset from the jamb than the "normal" lockset.

----------------------

Sorry, I can't help with this one. The distance from the door edge to the eyeballed center of the handle is 2-1/2" for my original interior doors, my replacement residential steel entry doors, and my basement garage's industrial fire door. Google shows other sizes.

The industrial door was free, a reject because the glass is very slightly larger than the Massachusetts requirement.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Sorry, I can't help with this one. The distance from the door edge to the eyeballed center of the handle is 2-1/2" for my original interior doors, my replacement residential steel entry doors, and my basement garage's industrial fire door. Google shows other sizes.

-------------------

My neighbor, a retired carpenter, told me that 2-1/2" was the standard for the commercial buildings he worked on.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've seen both 2 3/4" backset and 2 3/8" , but never 2 1/2 ... I've also seen locksets that have a bolt that can be adjusted to either "standard" backset .

Reply to
Snag

I've seen both 2 3/4" backset and 2 3/8" , but never 2 1/2 ... I've also seen locksets that have a bolt that can be adjusted to either "standard" backset . Snag

Google brought up sites that agree with you, so I looked further and asked my very experienced neighbor. Searching for 2-1/2" backset brought up many results, as did 2" and 1-1/2".

He told me about a development he worked on where they installed heavy fire doors in walls with metal studs. He was called back several times to readjust the doors until he convinced then to install stiffer wood stud frames. When I replaced the cheap original exterior doors here I reframed them with planed-to-fit oak from my sawmill. I'm still looking for trim screws with heads not much larger than panel nails.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins