adjustable backset

I am measuring my door lock to try to figure out my backset. However the door is a little weathered (exterior wood door is 35 years old) and it seems to measure 2.5", I know most locks are 2-3/8" or 2-3/4" BS but may be it is

2-3/8" but I am not sure, it's hard to eye ball from the keyhole to the edge of the door.

I noticed many locksets on the internet are labeled: 2-3/8" or 2-3/4" does it mean it it either 2-3/8" or 2-3/4" or does it mean it is adjustable within that range?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

its fixed.. what brand of lock you got? if it ANYTHING made within the last 20 years, HAS to be one of those

2 dimensions.

got a try square? hook it over the edge of the door with the blade hanging parallel TO THE FLOOR.. measure to the top center of the lock plate.. the big part of the handle. has to be one or the other

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

The simplest way to measure is remove the inside knob or lever and measure from the center of the spindle to the door edge, and locksets are either

Reply to
William J Jones Jr

there are some odd back-sets used 35 years ago. you may consider upgrading with a new door or use a install-a-lock kit.

either 2-3/8" or 2-3/4"

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Several things could be going on here. First your door could be beveled. Measure from the high side of the bevel.

Another way to attack the problem is to measure the old latch. It is possable that the hole in your door is a little off. If your old latch is the kind that the spindle enters rather than a Schlage style where the latch only attaches to the edge of the lock body then measuring the old latch is easy.

I would bet that if this is on a residential door you have a 2 3/8ths backset.

It is an either/or proposition.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

At one point in time I contemplated switching to a new double entry door but I gave up after 1 day of trying.

First, the door is a custom odd size wood door.

Second, built into the door is a set of embedded bracket that together with the door support columns to the side, allow one to pass two 2x6 lumber through them for hurricane protection.

Third, the door has a built in mail box which is hard to replace.

Forth, the door jambs on both side is made of heavy steel completely embedded in solid concrete like commercial applications, there is no way to remove the metal jambs without using a concrete saw to cut them out, even the door hinges were impossible to remove since the screws bit into solid concrete. I tried it to no avail.

The only way I can replace the door is to have it custom made to same size, if I replace it today it has to meet miami-dade county code so I cannot use wood door, so for it to be made custom and it cannot be wood, it has to be custom made steel door wrapped in wood veneer and hurricane rated, I priced one out the cheapest is $8000.00.

So I decided to just replace the locks.

I will go remeasure it.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Sounds to me like the door you have is definitely a keeper.

Although you did not explain the reasons for your inquiry, the description of your door suggests that you may have a unique lock on your door that may be worth fixing rather than replacing.

What is the problem you are trying to address with the hardware that is currently on your door, and what kind of lock do you currently have.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I go along with Roger news: snipped-for-privacy@news01.syix.com Quote: "Although you did not explain the reasons for your inquiry, the description of your door suggests that you may have a unique lock on your door that may be worth fixing rather than replacing."

g'luck

Reply to
Key

No it's one or the other. Put a straight edge on the door parallel to the lockset and measure from the straight edge.

Reply to
DB

DUH that is such a simple idea I should have thought of that. Thanks!

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Roger:

Thanks. The reason I am trying to replace the lock is that there are right now five holes on the door with two functioning lock - one is a regular entrance lock with a round knob, the other above it is a dead bolt. They are both a bit worn out, in that sometimes I have to stick the key in and jiggle a bit to open it, and when I take the keys to the locksmith to duplicate 9 out of 10 the duplicates would not work. I believe the locks were picked previously but unsuccessful. Also the knobs are a bit rusted. One is a Schlage the other is very old. There are two other holes in the door and are now covered with dummy circular plates, so previous owners probably have added locks in new places and closed off old holes. I do not believe the locks are that unique by looking at them, I think they can be replaced. I just need to precisely measure them and then replace them if they are of standard backset.

I will have to go down to the property and measure them tomorrow and report back, I hope it's 2-3/8".

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Try this, remove one of the locks and take it to the locksmith. He can then assess the lock and perhaps set it up to a new set of pins and good keys to solve the problem.

If the lock is shot, he can recommend a new one and tell you what your backset is.

Then you can reinstall the first lock and bring him the other one.

You may be in for a nice surprise and not need new locks at all.

An idea for the door is to fill the unused holes with wood plugs either to match the door or to use a darker or lighter shade of wood to make it look like an accent. If you opt for the latter idea, you can inlay some fake plugs to make it look like a nice design.

With a $8K cost to replace the door it might be worth a little creative wood working to doll it up.

In the alternative, filling the holes and sanding smooth and giving the door a nice coat of paint will make it look nice and protect the door from further degradation.

Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Do you buy a new car when the old one goes thump thump down the road, or do you get a new tire?

Jiggle keys, and duplicates not working. If you bring those locks to me, I can either repin them to a new code, and cut a bunch of keys for you. Or, take them apart and figure out the code, cut you keys that don't need to be jiggled. You can probably find someone to watch the place for you, a trusted relative or friend. Only be a few minutes work.

Most likely, any lock shop near you can do the same thing for you. It's about the same ammount of work, if you get all new keys (so the old keys won't work) versus cutting keys to fit the existing lock.

Unless the locks are worn out or broken, I'd suggest rekeying.

Incidentally, 2 1/2 backset turns out to be 2 3/8 about 99% of the time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can you imagine using this same approach at the doctor's office?

MC: "Doctor, I can't decide if I need methaprexate 20 miligrams, or methaprexate 30 miligrams. Can you tell me how to determine this?" Doc: Well, the higher dose has some specific indications, but most patients use 20 miligrams twice a day. Why do you ask? MC: "I've had this nasty cough for a couple days. Sounds like this <koff koff>" Doc: Yep, you've got a cold like the rest of the world. The receptionist has a bowl of cough drops with menthol. They work really well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's one or the other. No slider, no inbetweens.

2.5 inch backset usually turns out to be 2 3/8 in my experience.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung###++++***@hotmail.com> wrote in message

you already said that 5-minutes ago :-) news:473af2f9$0$24256$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com

Reply to
Key

-snip-

Why do you constantly make this absurd analogy? There is NO reasonable similarity between trying to fix your own locks and practicing medicine on yourself, although people certainly did the latter for centuries often with better results than the doctors of the day obtained with their leaches.

Reply to
DB

You're right. I get so totally absentminded. Sometimes I can't remember from one minute to the next. Glad you catch such things.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung###++++***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:473dc3d8$0$8871$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

I was just being sarcastic :-)