Mixed backsets.

Deadbolt job today. Two DB on a new home.

Back door turns out to be short backset. Went to change the bolts, get different bolts out of the van.

Came back in, install the DB. Then go to front door which had the long bakset. I hate it when that happens. fortunately, I was paying attention and didn't drill a Kwikset offset backset for the lockset. Make the customer upset. Couldn't then fix it with a pinset, or drown out the yelling with a headset.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That is odd, In my area you never see 2 3/4" on residential homes...about 90% of the homes are 2 3/8". ~GapLock

Reply to
GapLock

In my part of NY State, a lot of metal clad doors are 2 3/4. Once in awhile I need 2 3/4 round face, but not often. I see 2 3/8 roundface once every couple years, on trailer homes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Round face as in "Radius Latch" or as in "Drive-In"???

Reply to
GapLock

Drive-in.

We do see radius corner latches now and again. I don't like them very much, I usually forget to notice, and go buy mortise faced ones. And then I end up chiselling them out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, know what you mean!! I usally just use the kwikset Mortise Punches, t5hen chisel 'em out.

Reply to
GapLock

How does that help with mixed backsets?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OH, I meant in regards to you having radius corner latches and buying sqaure ones to mortise in. I didn't mean wiht the mixed backsets.

Reply to
GapLock

Of course Kwikset makes an adjustable backset deadbolt that will work just fine on 2 3/8 or 2 3/4. Their latches however are better in the single backset variety.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf
1) It makes it a lot easier for us if you leave enough quoted text so we know what's the question to go with the answer. 2) It's OK to change the subject line if the subject of the post changes.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Personally, I think the Kwikset adjustable latches are OK for the deadbolts. But the knob lock ones, they just don't seem very sturdy to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

who are you talking to ? if only you would have used quotes...

Reply to
Key