Rolling Metal

So, did any of you guys ever get sucked into Rolling Metal's videos.

"Well this is what I did last time and I'm not happy with it.

So here we are scrapping metal in a circular motion for 30 minutes fixing it.

Well, POOH! I was totally wrong again and that didn't work.

See you next time."

I have been playing with a Browning Buck Mark pistol lately, and I feel just like that.​ I haven't a clue if what I am trying will work, and I am glad to waste half an hour of your time telling you that.

Browning Buck Mark Part #1 - New Gun Day

Browning Buck Mark Part #2 - Installing New Parts
Jim, DO NOT WASTE YOUR DATA & BANDWIDTH ON THESE.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I never got sucked in , but I do need some 16ga rolled to repair my old smoker . Got a little rust ... not surprising , it's at least 20 years old . Smoked a lot of butts in that thing . Plan on smokin' a lot more too !

Reply to
Snag

Jim, DO NOT WASTE YOUR DATA & BANDWIDTH ON THESE.

Bob La Londe

---------------------------

Thanks, I won't, though I gain a fresh 10GB the first of each month.

Usually I consider amateur how-to video a waste of time and data, and imagine how I could compress and clarify many professional ones. My goal was to learn concise technical writing for printed user manuals. Often a line drawing or marked-up still photo as in car repair manuals seemed the best way to show what I meant. The text with embedded stills, animations and videos in Wiki are a good approach for individual viewers.

Even the great movie directors have trouble with the exposition (detail) of written fiction, and not just sci-fi. There's more in a James Bond book than you see on screen, and the book of E.T. had room for several plot lines omitted from the movie, like the Old Botanist's back story and the dog's dream of finding the bush that grows hamburgers. I'd rather record a video and then watch it with VLC on my computer so I can slow down, speed up or stop and single-step on a scene, like pausing to re-read in a book.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Sometimes those "tutorial" videos are about entertainment in the end. Rolling Metal was like a soap opera where the "good guy" always loses, but you keep coming back and rooting for the under dog.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sometimes those "tutorial" videos are about entertainment in the end. Rolling Metal was like a soap opera where the "good guy" always loses, but you keep coming back and rooting for the under dog.

Bob La Londe

------------------

They have to be entertaining to keep viewers' attention, otherwise they'd be like military training films.

powder bags weigh 110 lbs each. I've been struggling much more than those sailors to move similar sized log sections to my splitter.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The old way:

Jim Wilkins

I've had to learn about house renovations and what people have offered on YouTube has been very helpful. I started with little things and tiny objectives and those were rewarded. A start... eg. when I tried the ideas with silicone, there it was - it worked. Same with decorator's caulk, which I had never used before - did exactly what waws needed, going in the way which had been shown. So I'm putting a "there can also be ..." good view. Best wishes everyone.

Reply to
Richard Smith

I've found some of the car repair videos very helpful .

Reply to
Snag
<snip>

With so many hidden fasteners nowadays it's great to watch somebody else busting theirs and showing me how they work before I attempt my own ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Yup , particularly with interior panels .

Reply to
Snag

Two videos on YouTube recently helped me with my truck. I haven't fixed it, but now I know how. Dash lights tend to go wonky from full bright to nothing while I am driving at night. It doesn't bother me that much. Usually I reach down and swing the light level wheel back and forth a couple times, and then it works at full brightness. It doesn't night blind me so I don't worry after that. The first video showed how to replace the headlight control module. Basically its a black box with wheels and switches and knobs. The first video showed that the primary dash bezel can be removed by putting the sifter in reverse for clearance and tilting the steering wheel down out of the way. The bezzle itself it held in place with straight in push clips which can be released simply by pulling. Then the retaining clips on the black box are released with a putty knife. It unplugs at the back, a new block box is plugged in, and everything snaps back together. Yes, I am very much aware of how releasing and reinstalling clips can go awry.

The second video was a bit of a surprise. It popped up in my suggested feed. They opened up the black box showing a very simple circuit board with a row of solder joints. The claim was that solder joints fail due to the nature of a single sided single layer board, and that reflowing the joints will repair the black box most of the time.

I haven't swapped out the box or repaired it, because, well, mostly I drive the Jeep which is ten years newer and doesn't have that mildly annoying issue.

However, on a recent trip to the shooting range we decided to take a side trip on the way back so I could show my friend a few bank accessible fishing holes. I hit the shift on the fly 4wd drive button on the dash (which is quite sticky) when driving over a berm, and later it didn't want to switch back. I did get it to switch back to 2wd eventually, and the manual says its good in 4WD up to 65 MPH, so there was likely no harm.

Anyway, I was doing a search on how to fix the 4WD switch problem when I found the first video on the headlight black box. It turns out the 4WD switches are also a black box similar to the head light module. All available parts from places like GM Parts Direct and LMC Truck.

With that being said. I watch YouTube videos mostly for infotainment. In the morning when I have coffee and make breakfast I put it up on the big screen TV in the living room and watch anything that catches my fancy. This can range from "37 Reasons the Gizzlbot Mechanism is a Bad Idea" to how to rewire a "14th Century Time Travel Device."

I may be a mediocre machinist, but if I'm ever stuck in 1397 with a busted transtemporal displacement regenerator I'll still have a chance to make it home.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Usually I consider amateur how-to video a waste of time and data, ...

Often, not always. Videos on how to replace my car's alternator and thermostat were very helpful by showing all the other parts that had to be removed or loosened and shifted first to gain access.

This is what I like to see in a product review:

Another good reviewer (skip the ad):
Maybe I expect too much technical detail?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins