A Pasta Machine is NOT a Rolling Mill

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding my need for a rolling mill. I should be able to get what I need for less than $200. Anyhow, I got this great idea of trying out my garage sale pasta machine on my copper wire. I was able to get #14 wire ~ .066" down to .033" in 4 passes with no annealing. My machine would not allow any thinner. Also, the last pass left some slight grooving on the rollers which should not affect its pasta forming functionality.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

I can give you free roller bearings if you want to make a rolling mill.

Ignoramus29737

I bet if you'd annealed the copper wire between passes you could have gotten it thinner and also without leaving grooves.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yep! No question about it.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Maybe it would only go down to .033 because that is as close as the rollers are able to close together?

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Good thing it's only for pasta....

You just reminded me of the tongue lashing I deservedly received from my dad for cranking a jeweler's saw blade through the rolling mill at his jewelry manufacturing shop, "to see what would happen.", when I was about ten years old.

It wasn't discovered until a couple of days later when one of the "bench men" put a piece of plate through the mill and it came out with saw blades embossed on both sides.

IIRC dad had to send those rolls out to a shop to get them cleaned up.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It's a fine rolling mill for Sculpy. My wife uses it all of the time.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen