How to remove this door lock?

Hey -

I have to replace a lock on an exterior door. It has a regular door knob, it's not a deadbolt or anything. There is no marking on it so I don't know the manufacturer. For what it's worth, the inside and outside knobs are nearly spherical.

The problem is I can't figure out how to remove it! There are no mounting bolts (except for the two on the latch's plate), so I don't know where to begin.

There *are* little slots on the interior baseplate and on the stem, but I sure would appreciate any intelligent guesses on how to remove this beast. Let me know if any more info would help.

- John

Reply to
John A. Crow

Look through the slot in the side of the inside door knob and see if you can see a flat steel bar that depresses when you push on it with a small screwdriver or awl. You may have to turn the inside door knob one way or the other while looking through the slot to find the bar to depress it but most likely not. Depress the bar and pull the inside door knob off. Sometimes you need to really give it a good pull but it will come off. Once you remove the inside door knob, stick the screwdriver in the slot of the inside plate and pry it off, sometimes it helps to grab it and turn it to pull it off. It just snaps on. The phillips screws will be behind the plate.

Some base plates unscrew but I don't recall those having slots.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Probably something like this:

down to page 18, see A170 exploded.

Unk

Reply to
Unk

Glen & Unk -

Thanks, your tips are right on. I do appreciate the help!

- John

Reply to
John A. Crow