Kwikset door lock opened with a wrench?

I would like to open a Kwikset door lock (not a deadbolt).

What is the easiest way to force the lock open? If I put a large pipe wrench on the knob and turn, will the lock open? Will the handle break off or will the inside of the lock break? Will I need to drill any part of the lock after turning the handle with a pipe wrench?

Would it be easier to drill a big hole through the key slot? Would that "unlock" the door?

I don't care about damage to the lock. I simply want a quick method to get the lock open. I don't want to damage the door.

Is there any other way to open the lock without picking it?

In case any one is wondering, a sheriff will be meeting me at the home to remove a tenant. If the tenant rekeyed the lock, I would like to be able to get in without having to reschedule the sheriff and calling a locksmith.

Reply to
Mark

perhaps, you call the locksmith JUST TO have all the locks changed and the general security looked at as well.. NOTHING like a kicked out tenant that WILL break back in given a chance..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Reply to
Mark

You could use the tried and true hair dryer opening method, or call your local professional locksmith and don't be such a tight wad.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Do you really want that info appearing on a public newsgroup, where someone could use it to break into _your_ house?

Once you get the door open -- by going in through another door, by going in through a window, by force, by getting the key back from the evicted tenant, by having a locksmith open it, whatever -- the lock can be easily removed with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Mark, read the FAQ before asking

the wrong place to be asking defeating instructions.

Reply to
Key

Greetings.

You should be able to drill the cylinder out. Kwiksets are cheap enough, you could even practice beforehand. It's easiest if you use a couple different sized bits. They'll know you're coming though. There still may be additional "locking mechanisms" from the inside, which may damage the door if all you bypass is the door knob lock and attempt to open the door.

If you try to open it with a pipe wrench, you may do some damage to the door, and you may also jam the lock by breaking other parts of the lock and / or knob.

If you know where to drill, you could drill two or three holes through the knob, and it will open.

Unfortunately, quick access would most likely damage the door and/or frame. Perhaps consider a notepad for signatures, a box of chocolates, some balloons, and ringing the door bell.

.times enemy

Mark wrote:

Reply to
times enemy

there is a "very simple" way to open a Kwikset knob unit without damaging anything. it does not involve picking or wrenching. just can't tell on this open forum. hint, if you could see the cylinder unit apart from the knob? you could easily figure out how to open it.

Reply to
Key

Kwikset knob? It that a cyllinder lock inside of a doorknob? I thought kwikset was the easy brand for lockpicking.. I didn't know there was another way to bypass kwiksets.. hmm.. drilling (destructive...).. maybe a butterknife? i don't think a butterknife would work mainly because of the pins..that doesn't make sense.. pins need to go past the shear line.. i sure wonder what you're talking about key. i'll have to get one of these kwiksets to check that stuff out.. i'm always broke though.. :(

-- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (who was unable to sign into his count mainly because gmail.com is down.) --

Reply to
Agent-X

Shizet, all this time I've been thinking the pins need to go "UP TO" the shear line. No wonder I've never been able to pick a Kwikpick, I mean Kwikset.

BoB

Reply to
Bob B.

driver.. pins stay at bottom. mr. technical.. >_<

Reply to
Cyberdyne Systems Model T-101

Actually, I can think of three. :)

(Ever heard of the broken key extractor method?)

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Drivers _are_ pins... "top pins" :)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Sheesh, if you "pros" can't agree on terminology, how are the TENS OF THOUSANDS of people who pick locks as a hobby supposed to speak a common language ? I thought there were "key pins" at the keyway end of the stack and driver (although I always thought they should be called "driven")pins at the hull end of the stack. But I guess by not having a common terminology among people in the trade, the security of each individual lock is enhanced. I suppose we could make things even better if locksmiths called them "pins" on odd number days of the month and "barneys" on even days of the month, unless of course you know the secret handshake.

Reply to
Tom Rauschenbach

I doubt there are "tens of thousands" of people that consider lock picking as a hobby.

I thought there were "key pins" at the keyway end of

The Cabal does not acknowledge any secret handshake.

There is no Cabal.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"Cyberdyne Systems Model T-101" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

no they don't... unless the plug is upside down :-)

Reply to
Key

wish I could tell ya. not a butterknife.

another hint; they make a tool for just this purpose.

Reply to
Key

I have used a pipe wrench several times to torque off the knob and remove it to gain access to the center shaft that opens the door. Effective and very quick. Been locked out several times in the middle of the night with no phone. Also never damaged the door itself.

Reply to
agents

According to the L.I.S.T. Council...

pin tumbler n. usually a cylindrical shaped tumbler. Three types are normally used: bottom pin, master pin and top pin.

Personally, I don't care if they do or not. (And I seriously doubt it's tens of thousands)

No such term

should > be called "driven") pins at the hull end of the stack.

What is the "hull"? Are you referring to the "bible"?

See above

And how, exactly, is that?

"Barneys" aren't even used in pin tumbler locks. (But if you knew the secret handshake, you'd know that.)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML