Kwikset door lock opened with a wrench?

I thought the part of the "cylinder" that the "plug" was in was called the "hull". The plug and hull together were the cylinder. If I'm wrong, I'm glad to be corrected, thanks. Please, what is the correct terminolgy ? "Bible" is a word I've yet to see in this context.

That was sarcasm, based on the debatable notion that not sharing information about how locks work enhances the security of them. I am of the opinion that security through obscurity is a falsehood, but there are many regular posters to this news group who don't agree. And some of them have reasons that sound very convincing.

Reply to
Tom Rauschenbach

sorry, don't believe you "used a pipe wrench several times to torque off the knob" without ever damaging the door.

one great thing about an open forum. everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

no pun intended

Reply to
Key

"Tom Rauschenbach" snipped-for-privacy@tomsdomain.org wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@tomsdomain.org...

Tom, he already gave you the link that will answer all your terminology questions.

it out, it is a very informative link.

Reply to
Key

I've unlocked a lot of Kwikset knob locks. Some by using picks, even! Most of the time, though, I have to pick the tumblers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

More inserted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

According to the secret handbook of Inhouse Tricks, we are to deny any knowledge of, or complicity with the cabal. You are handling the matter just exactly correctly.

Without the secret squirrel handshake, I can't give you Secret Handbook of Inhouse Tricks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We are to believe that you are a locksmith?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-Since someone is trying to get in, would'nt those be referred to as "outhouse tricks"??-LMA0

-"We cannot effectively confirm, nor deny,the existance of any Cabal."

Reply to
goma865

Sheesh, if you "pros" can't agree on terminology, how are the TENS OF THOUSANDS of people who pick locks as a hobby supposed to speak a common language ?

Tens of thousands??Somewhere there is a hardware store selling a whole lot of pipe wrenches...(An expensive and tiring hobby)

You mean to tell me you have never heard of: piggy wires, cat slappers,hornet grabbers,snake charmers,toad stickers,woopee cushions,wire biters,window benders,board stretchers,pipe pokers,rod clinchers,coon catchers,bug blasters, whisker ticklers,screw twisters,spike pullers,and iron beaters???

You are missing out!!

Reply to
goma865

I've heard it referred to as a "shell" (mostly in IC core context) and "housing". I'm not really sure there is a term for that. I'll have to check.

The bible is the part where the springs and top pins are. The term is usually used with knob cylinders and some rim cylinders.

So was mine.

It may very well be a falsehood, but never-the-less, publicly exposing vulnerabilities of a particular lock is not doing the "little old lady who can't afford better" any favors. Some people can only afford Kwikset. What good does it do them to tell the world how to bypass them.

(More sarcasm) :)

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Like that, hunh?

:)

Maybe someone will put it in the FAQ.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

What's a Cabal? Do I need to by one? How much do they cost?? Who sells the????

Tell me! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

Gosh, the Pickmaster has trained you well, especially in the area of "Plausible and Believable Deniability."

See you at the lodge-LMAO, Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

yea, I went searching for that link and then noticed that you already posted it. believe it should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Key

You can't buy a Cabal; you can only rent one. And to use it with computers, you need to also obtain a Cabal Modem.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Thank you to those that provided relevant and useful information. It turns out that the key worked and I didn't have to break the lock.

There were several interesting comments from locksmiths. To those of you locksmiths who provided useless information or "I can't tell you" type messages, someday you will realize that you can't "police" the internet. If you can readily find bomb building information on the internet, why would you expect great harm to come to the world if you provided useful information about breaking a lock.

After additional searching, I found that the information was already freely available on web sites and other newsgroups. I found pictures showing someone breaking a lock with a pipe wrench. I found directions for properly drilling a lock. I also found a tool sold on the internet that removes the kwikset lock "core" without requiring the lock to be removed from the door.

Reply to
Mark

I can go to a website and get your social security number. So why don't you just post it here and save someone the trouble. Nobody who reads this group is dishonest, right?

Point is... Yes, bypass information is available to anyone elsewhere on the internet... even to thrives. But that doesn't mean we should also provide it just because others do.

I don't expect you to agree. You've already made up your mind. We're not going to change it with our reasoning any more than you are going to ours. The horse is dead. Stop kicking.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Hope ya feel good now...... ya killed a horse....;-}

steve

Reply to
steve