Dishonest Locksmith

See:

Locksmith broke into flat where he had previously done work.

Incidentally locksmiths working on safes and vaults, and alarm and security CCTV technicians have to be licenced as 'security guards' in New Zealand.

Reply to
Peter

There are a few dishonest individuals in any profession. The fact tht this is newsworthy, in fact, is a good indication of how uncommon it is.

May not be unreasonable depending on how the actual license is defined and what its requirements are. I don't think either security guards or locksmiths require licensing in my area.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

that's what happens when a trade is unregulated. there are bad apples in all trades.

note to the public; if your state requires for a tradesman to be licensed? only do business with licensed tradesman.

g'day all

Reply to
Key

Currently Victoria (Australia) are trying to introduce licenses for Locksmiths and Security Advisors.

As I understand it some of the Lock Associations are fighting the introduction.

If you have criminal convictions you will not be licensed. A special application can be made to the licensing board but as you can imagine if it's an offence of dishonesty it would be hard to convince the Board.

Spriteah.

Reply to
Jim Smith

In NSW you have to have a clean record for 10 yrs in order to get a license.... no license no job, the licensing cops do random checks on us from time to time... oh and we get our fingerprints taken too... a few guys have issues with that but if it keeps the bad guys out of the industry I'm all for it... I saw a trust poll a while ago and we rate better than the police that are trying to keep us in toe... lets try and keep it that way eh??

Reply to
steve

--snip--

same here in louisiana

Reply to
Key

When I lived in Louisiana ( in the U.S.A ) they wouldn't let Chiropracters call themselves doctors. But that was nearly thirty years ago. In Texas, they won't let programmers call themselves "software engineers". Too bad the Bill of Rights doesn't have an "Industry Lobbying Group".

Reply to
Tom Rauschenbach

Well, that's interesting. It seems to me that someone who designs and creates a product according to specifications would have engineered it. Is the problem with regulating the use of the term "engineer"? Is a janitor allowed to call himself a "sanitary engineer"?

David Ames

Reply to
David Ames